Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about the last 24 hours, Captain, our boxer will, every now and then shake his head back and forth , just kind of rocks it side to side for a short while each time it happens. His eyes look fine, but you can tell he can't control it. We are worried about it. My husband called the vet who told him that his blood sugar might be out of whack, and so he is going in tomorrow. He advised us to feed him something sweet when it happens, and I don't know whether it is a coincidence, but it has helped. Has anyone ever seen this in their dog? I hope nothing is wrong with him, just when we have grown so attached to him. :unsure: I know this is a topic for health and genetics, but I wanted maximum input, so could you leave it here for a day, moderators? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sending healing drool Captain's way. Do keep us posted on how he is doing and what is causing these symptoms.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Captain saw the vet today. He declined to take any blood :unsure: and told me to watch him closely over the next week. He wants us to write down each time it happens and what activity he was involved in. He said he thought it might be a small neurological twitch, blah blah blah. He could even be having (small) mal seizures. Apparently, this is something that materializes and gets worse progressively, and so we won't know right away. When it happens he looks like a bobble-head, though. He doesn't know he's doing it, and today it happened twice before we went to the vet. Both times he was lying on his bed at our office. <_<
So I just don't know what to think. I'll post when we find out more.

Thanks everyone, for your concern! You guys are great! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Menna has shaken her head like a nodding dog twice during the 16 months she has lived with us, it has only happened when has woken up suddenly and as soon as we give her a cuddle it stopped so we took it that perhaps she had been having a bad dream years ago we had an old english sheepdog who did the same every so often we had her checked by the vet who could find no problem she lived to 14 years so we are hoping Menna is the same. Please make sure to let us know what happens our thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No more episodes of head shaking since Tuesday. Maybe he was just pretending to be a bobble-head. :unsure:

We are watching him closely.
Of course, he has a constant audience at work and of everyone who comes in there.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Myrtle did that a couple of times, shortly before she developed full-blown epilepsy. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.