Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

What a terrific forum!
Has anyone had experience with palate surgery for their basset, either had it done or thought about it? They are thinking of doing it for my basset puppy, who is 6 months, during his neutering. He snores a lot already at such a young age, poor guy. The surgery is not just to stop snoring, but so he can breathe better too.

anyways, just wondering what the recovery was like and if you thought it was worth doing.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I've never even heard of it being done for Bassets, they are not a breed that normally has breathing issues.
As always with any major reconstructive surgery I would recommend a second opinion before going ahead.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Soundtrack!

Here's the follow-up:
Turns out they took a look at him during the surgery for neutering and found that his palate does look long. They were considering him for palate surgery because of all the snoring and possible sleep apnea (sleep apnea in humans has been found to have a lot of negative health effects; don't know if it has been researched in dogs as much...) For brachycephalic breeds like pugs, etc with short noses, the vet explained they can do the surgery because they have a long soft palate and can cut it away for palate surgery. But for my basset, it was his hard palate that was long, so nothing much they can do for him easily surgically.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts