Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the shelter I volunteer at there is a pair of basset hounds that are looking for a home, one male one female. The male is deaf and the female is his friend and helps guide him. Being purebred will help their chances, but with one being special needs and them being together they are a tough case to adopt out to the general public. Generally in a case like this you don't want to separate them because he depends on her.

Anyway I thought I would post this here if anyone is looking to expand their basset family and would give them a shot.

I'm not sure if they were found together or if they have simply grown to be good friends.

Here is Fred:
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Basset Hound | Carrollton, TX | Fred

And here is Lulu May:
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Basset Hound | Carrollton, TX | LuLu May

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Have they been checked for microchips or tattoos? Maybe the breeder is listed in the information.

Have you tried contacting local rescues?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have they been checked for microchips or tattoos? Maybe the breeder is listed in the information.

Have you tried contacting local rescues?
All of the dogs go through a check in process where they are screened for chips and examined for any health problems like heartworms, fleas, etc. All of the dogs are microchipped as well and I know that just before they do it they doublecheck there isn't one already. As far as whether they had one or had to have a new one put in, I'm not sure.

Usually local rescues don't pull dogs from this shelter because it is no-kill. Actually they sometimes put dogs in this shelter because it is a very busy one open to the public so dogs get adopted faster than they would in a foster home.

I don't know all of the details but I was planning on going up this weekend to get to know them and ask about their history. I've been doing event planning/committee work the last couple months so I haven't had much time to spend with the dogs.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Ah, such precious dears. I am way far away and can't handle any family additions. I hope they find a home together and soon!
~Heather

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got to meet Fred today. Lulu wasn't there; she was at an offsite adoption. I'm not sure why they took one instead of both. I'm not involved in adoption counseling or intake.

Anyway, here are some videos of Fred. He is a pretty independent dog, likes to explore.

He's a handsome boy.

Also I looked up his microchip info and the universal lookup by AAHA showed that it wasn't registered in any of the databases.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Such beautiful hounds. I would take them in a heartbeat except my husband grumbled something about me being an animal hoarder. LOL. I hope they find a good home soon.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These 2 hounds are still there and I spent about half an hour with them and their 2 run-mates yesterday. Lulu is a doll and was calm but loved playing with one of the other dogs in their run. When they started barking at someone walking by, she was right alongside them with a nice deep basset woof. She has big round soulful brown eyes that will make you melt.

Right now they are in a large run with 2 other dogs and are definitely the better behaved pair. I took pictures but can't post them from here; I will later.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the pictures from yesterday:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ha! Love the way Fred's tail never stops wagging.......even when he is peeing :) Hope they find a good home, wish TX was closer I would go visit them and take a walk......

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They got adopted together yesterday. Don't know any more details but fingers crossed that it sticks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts