Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Philly Dawg see Nov. 18 post

Quote:

"The commercial canine health regulations governing temperature, ventilation and flooring in Pennsylvania's remaining large breeding kennels have cleared their last hurdle and will take effect July 1, 2011."

"Now with the passage of the new regulations kennels will be required to maintain humane temperatures in kennels, as opposed to the blistering heat that dogs have been forced to endure for so many years. And air quality standards will guarantee that dogs are breathing healthy air at all times," he said.

"There are currently 111 commercial kennels in Pennsylvania, down from more than 300 before the new dog law was passed. A commercial kennel is defined as those that sell or transfer more than 60 dogs a year or sells a single dog to a pet store. Of those, 80 have been operating with waivers exempting them from requirements of the new law, but many of those waivers were set to expire last month."

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I know you are just updating us so this is nothing personal towards you . I use to think the object was to hopefully ban puppy mills but it seems that just making those dogs in puppy mills are, what,comfortable? Better off than they were before? These "requirements" do not actually give the dogs better health,they don't stop the breeding of dogs everytime they come into heat,they don't stop rearing puppies in cages,and what makes anyone think there are enough people hired to police these kennels to enforce any of the so called requirements. Is this suppose to make me feel better about puppy mills. It doesn't!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Philly Dawg see Nov. 18 post

Quote:

"There are currently 111 commercial kennels in Pennsylvania, down from more than 300 before the new dog law was passed. ."
Alot of puppymills are going out of business because they can't afford to comply with the new requirements.

Some of these 'breeders' would rather shoot 80 dogs than pay for the cost of flea treatment ordered after a kennel inspection( this happened in 2008 not far from where I live). So they sure don't want to pay for larger cages, temperature control, etc.

Was this the intention of those who pushed the new laws? I think it might have crossed their minds.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Puppy mills will probably be around for a long time to come since there is so much $$ involved and it'sone industry that can't really be shipped overseas.

The conditions in some of these mills are truly horrendous and many millers don't care about the suffering they cause. If these laws can make the lives of the dogs more "humane" then it is worth it. One of the most difficult things is to make a law protecting mill dogs without putting responsible breeders etc out of business at the same time.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The problem is the requirement for heat and temperature should be a giant warning flag to all pet owners. The standard adopted by PA in my estimation could not be met by 90% or greater of pet owners. In the thinking of Animal rights advocates like HSUS which was a major advocate of the legislation and has pushed similar legislation in at least 30 other states.

In the near future there will be legislation requiring pet owner to have AC and fresh air reciculating system in place before they can acquire a dog.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The problem is the requirement for heat and temperature should be a giant warning flag to all pet owners.
In the near future there will be legislation requiring pet owner to have AC and fresh air reciculating system in place before they can acquire a dog.
The law applies to commercial kennels:
"A commercial kennel is defined as those that sell or transfer more than 60 dogs a year or sells a single dog to a pet store."

Mike,I know you're sincere in your belief, but I personally don't buy into the fear-mongering that sporting groups and others have used from the beginning to fight this law. And I'm delighted that 189 puppymills (some close to my home) have been driven out of business because they can't afford/don't want to comply. Good riddance.

With things getting tougher for them in Pa.,maybe they'll find the grass greener in Rhode Island and move in next door to you... ;)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I hope a law like this makes its way to Texas. The one that was proposed last year died. The mindset of basic rights for animals in general just isn't here yet. There was a cruelty seizure here for mostly reptiles last year that involved over 27,000 animals, the largest in US history. The puppy situation doesn't seem much better, especially in rural areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts