Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 5 week old puppy, Cotton Blossom. She seems to want to eat constantly and acts as if she is starving all the time. I am feeding her 3 times a day but then she tries to steal the other dog's food too. I have just wormed her(with vet's recommendation). Is this normal behavior?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I know that my emma eats like that every meal, and she's 7 :) Only five weeks old though??? Isn't that much too young to be away taken from her mother?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new 5 week old puppy, Cotton Blossom. She seems to want to eat constantly and acts as if she is starving all the time. I am feeding her 3 times a day but then she tries to steal the other dog's food too. I have just wormed her(with vet's recommendation). Is this normal behavior?
[/b]
There were so many puppies the owners were anxious to get rid of them. Since I have always wanted one I went ahead and got it. She is eating really good..any special precautions I need to take with her? Will this early separation harm her in any way?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
A puppy this young should be eating four times a day.

Puppies removed from their littermates at this very young age often fail to develop bite inhibition, which means that they don't learn to play bite and nip softly. Hard bites and nips can break skin. If they aren't exposed to other dogs once they leave the litter, they may develop fear-based aggression toward strange dogs. General socialization can also be problematic, because most pet owners don't make an active effort to socialize their dogs.
A puppy that is not properly socialized can grow up to be a fearful dog. Unfortunately, a frightened dog that is pushed too far can end up attacking out of that fear. He can attack the dog that he fears; worse yet, he could attack a human[/b]
Source--Breeder's Round Table: Puppy Socialization

Some links for additional reading:

Socialization Tips and Puppy Training Pointers for New Puppy Owners
Bite Inhibition--an Essential Part of Socialization

·
Registered
773 Posts
This early separation will definitely have some repurcussions, so follow the links provided by Betsy. You might try feeding your dogs in crates, or at least separate rooms, to avoid having one steal food from the other. This could escalate into all-out fighting over time.

The people you got this pup from had no business breeding if this is how they're going to do things, but I hope your pup's life with you will be a good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts