Basset Hounds Forum banner

Our Walk in the Woods

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  BubbaLeroy 
#1 ·
Yesterday, after work, we had a nice walk in the woods with the purpose to gather some cowberries. Cowberry jam for the winter :D The sun was up, it was no wind and 72 degrees fahrenheit, we had brought food and only started to head for home at sunset. Here are some pictures:

Mr. Runcible resting a little after the walk
"No ser eg atter slike Fjell og Dalar..."

Look! Me and the dead, mutilated tree

Mr. Runcible helped look for berries too

What we came looking for was this:

What we found was this:

Mr. Capercaillie decieded to pay us a visit. He was only seven feet away at the closest. It looked like he was in the middle of the mating ritual. Confused little fella, he probably didn't get any this spring :p
With that and Mr. Runcible running into a little black elkound pup we all agreed that it had been a nice day in the woods.

Until next time..

See less See more
Discussion starter · #10 ·
Murraysmom, their size can get up to 3 feet.

They taste great with cowberry jam by the way. Capercaillie has meat that is parts dark and parts white. Originally it had just dark meat, but then it took a big bite out of the hazel grouse and that is why it has two coloured meat and why the hazel grouse is so small :p

But do not worry, the mister on the pictures did not end up on our dinner table.

Well, that was Friday, now it is sunday and I got visited by Aurora Borealis. That means winter is headed this way. I hate winter. Cold and snow. Dark when you leave for work and dark when you get home, the northern lights are just about the only thing positive about winter........ oh and hot chocolate.
Alas I did not bring my camera, but I'll get enough opportunities during the loooooooong winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.