Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chloe turned 14 (we think) this summer and we certainly have seen some changes. Just recently, she has been having a hard time getting up -- her back legs just keep sliding out from underneath her. It seems to be worse in the morning. We took her to the vet, expecting the worse, but we are trying Rimadyl and it seem to be helping...a bit. Our hardwood floors are a blessing and a curse -- easy to clean up the many potty accidents she is having because she has trouble making it to the door but difficult for her to get traction.

It is tough to watch the old gal struggle, but she still wags her tail a and gives a good "woof" when the kids get home from school. Plus, she still enjoys her dinner, so things can't be that bad! ;)

As she is a good age for a Basset, I know that she is living "on borrowed time" (some days more than others :lol: ), but still I find it tough that time is passing more quickly than I would like.

Don't know why I'm posting, really. Just felt like doing this now, rather than later....

·
Registered
782 Posts
I know, the old hounds are gifts, they really are! Enjoy all your time with that sweet little girl and I hope life gets a little easier for her.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Boy, I know how you feel. Spencer turned 13 this summer & has issues like you described with Chloe, in addition to others. I haven't posted about him in awhile, but the vet thinks he may possibly have a brain tumor, so talk about living on borrowed time. :( Still, his senior years as well as Sadie's when she was alive are my favorite. There's just something about the old hounds that's very appealing, despite the fact that you know time is limited. I cherish every day I have with him, as I'm sure you do with your girl. Despite age & health problems, Spencer has continued to be his goofy self, & that just makes my day every day! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts