Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our vet called my husband and I today, and a lady had a brother and sister basset hound duo, but had to get rid of one of them. The vet called us immediately knowing what good care we take of Merlin, our 8 year old basset.

With much happiness, I went to the vet and picked up Arthur, a beautiful 5 month old neutered basset. He is so sweet and we fell in love immediately.

The problems began when we brought Arthur into the home, and Merlin immediately became very hostile (he's neutered as well). He's snapping, growling and head butting baby Arthur, and all Arthur tries to do is play. We've tried everything we can think of this evening, from reassuring Merlin, to telling him firmly 'no' when he snaps at the puppy, and not devoting any more time to the puppy than Merlin.

I am wondering if you kind experts could give me some advice for easing the tension/hostility in Merlin? We desperately want to keep the puppy - but not at the expense of making Merlin's life miserable. Does it just take some time?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for your VERY helpful advise! I didn't think about gating off a room, that is a great idea. So far it seems that Merlin is just "disciplining" Arthur - he hasn't hurt him, but he is growling and snapping.

I will run out now and get the gate - again, excellent idea! I will keep everyone updated, and will post some pics soon!

Thanks you again!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts