Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning we go for a walk. There is a lake in our subdivision where we live. The walking path around it is exactly one mile. This is what we saw yesterday while walking!

That is one of his favorite hangouts! He was about 15 ft. from us!! I never take my eyes off that lake!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
:eek: Wow. I'd be totally spooked.

~Heather

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh, dear! Last summer while driving around Orlando, we saw quite a few 'gators. They're magnificent animals, and it breaks my heart that they're running out of room due to building (just like the wild animals in the Northeast) -- but they're pretty scary.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Looks like he went to 7-11 for a Big Gulp :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This time of the year the gators start coming out for the upcoming mating season :rolleyes: This afternoon we saw another one in a different area but that one was much smaller. Yes, they will eat Bassets or anything else they can catch :blink: :blink: They lay perfectly still and you wouldn't even know they were there in the water if you weren't on the lookout. We are very careful and wouldn't dare walk every in the morning or late at night when it's dark otherwise your asking for trouble. All part of living in Florida!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I checked up on the alligator, and then it all made sense.
When I was asking the basset question I was thinking of the
fresh water crocodile (Because I'm smart. S-M-R-T! <_< ),
which you probably don't have at all. We have no such things
here, and for that I'm glad. I love your attitude though: "All
part of living in Florida!"

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am going to Florida for my honeymoon this summer and I will definitely be on the look out for gators and sharks. The last time I went to Florida in 8th grade (about 12 years ago) my father and I were about to go swimming in the beautiful ocean when a couple came out of the water really fast saying they saw a shark. I kept myself to the pool after that.

~Heather

·
Registered
140 Posts
OK, I would seriously loose my marbles....Crocs and Gators are things we as a family only see on TV. My son has a toy one that he loves a lot. Im sure that would be different if we lived there. Yikes!
I myself am terrified..........i wouldn't sleep if I knew there were those HUGE reptiles in my surroundings. Like you said it is the territory you are from and used to. You brave soul you!! :blink: :eek:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The only crocs I've ever seen are on my feet (goodness...are they COMFORTABLE! :) ). I would be VERY freaked out if I saw large reptiles like that in our area!

I'm very glad that all we have to worry about here are skunks and the odor they like to share! :eek: On very rare occasions raccoons or coyotes will harm dogs but only if they are left out untended. Even then I've only heard of one dog who was harmed. Moe is perfectly safe to wander about the yard and it's wooded edges, when he's not holding down the couch. ;) Florida people, keep a good eye on your doggies!! :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts