Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Fred

I am very sorry. Such a difficult situation for you. My thoughts are with you at this hard time.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your little Fred.:(

Since the incubation period for Parvo is 7-14 days, that means the puppy was already infected when you got him. I hope you are able to get some recompense from whoever sold you a sick puppy and put you through this heartache.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you, yes it`s been very hard on us but also very educational. We traced the breeder and found out it was a puppy mill. Now i had never heard of this before beeing from Norway and i didnt think much of the fact you could buy dogs in pet shops here in Greece. We do get a refund but i don`t really care so much for that, i just feel horrid for the dog and all the others in the mill, we are currently on search for another basset from a registered breeder somewhere in Europe. meanwhile we are gonna adopt a little puppy from a shelter that really needs a good home. if any of you know of any responsible breeders or shelters with bassets looking for good home we would appreciate any info, we`ve searched high and low for breeders in Greece and we can`t find any, atleast not responsible caring ones. Thank you so much for your support during this hard time

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
We traced the breeder and found out it was a puppy mill. Now i had never heard of this before beeing from Norway and i didnt think much of the fact you could buy dogs in pet shops here in Greece. We do get a refund but i don`t really care so much for that, i just feel horrid for the dog and all the others in the mill,
:( I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
parvo and puppies

So last friday after 21 years of wanting our little Basset puppy arrived 8 weeks old. Friday went like a blast though a little tired from his trip (8 hours from Athens to Thessaloniki) on Saturday morning he ate and drank and played a little. later in the afternoon he seemed dull, didnt want food and so on so we called a vet and he told us he was probably tired which seemed fair enough, his condition only got worse throughout the weekend and on Monday morning he went to the vet which suspected worms so he got treated for that. he did not improve and on Wednesday we went again the puppy had not pooped for 36 hours, he got put on fluids and glykose and anti vomiting pills over night, today the vet found a stool with blood and other signs of parvo and it scared the living beejeeves out of us, he is obviously still in the vet recieving all the care he can provide him. i was wondering if maybe some of you have experience with this and can share their experiences with us
We went through the same when we purchased are now 11 week old pups. The last two weeks we spend most of our time in the ICU intensive care unit at our nearby animal hospital it has been touch and go for both of our pups for the last couple of weeks the last one came home just two days ago and is very weak still as she has lost 2 1/2 pounds in the last week. It has been a very costly time for us but the worse I hope is now behind us. If you can make it through the costly vet bills there is hope ahead. we will pray for you and your puppy.:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
So sorry to hear of the loss of your puppy. It's situations like these that make it all the more important to know who you are buying from.

I know of a good breeder in Hungary by the name of My Destiny bassets. The lady's name is Patricia and she has gorgeous dogs and from what I've seen of her kennels she takes very good care of her dogs and I also know of a couple of breeders in Italy who are breeding some fantastic dogs. My breeder herself just recently purchased a girl from Italy who is decended from a dog she sent over to Italy years ago... gorgeous little girl.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
thank you ever so much for your wishes and help, we learned alot from the process and we have reported the "so called" breeder here. If i had ever knew that such things as puppy mills existed prior to the purchase we would never have gone through with it. As far as i know the contact person we had is now beeing sued by animal rights here so i hope he get`s punished like he should. We refused to recieve a replacement puppy from him and demanded our money back. we are looking into the suggested breeders here and we are very very thankful for any help locating them :) We`re still sad for our loss, only comfort is we got him the best care possible and hopefully eased his passing a bit through all the struggles he had to endure, at the end i do think he knew we cared for him alot as he lit up whenever we came and at that point he didn`t even have the energy to stand up. I sincerely hope none of you have to go through any of these ordeals. We will keep an eye on the forum and hopefully sometime next year we will have found a proper breeder and a little basset to take home and give a wonderful life :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts