Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last friday after 21 years of wanting our little Basset puppy arrived 8 weeks old. Friday went like a blast though a little tired from his trip (8 hours from Athens to Thessaloniki) on Saturday morning he ate and drank and played a little. later in the afternoon he seemed dull, didnt want food and so on so we called a vet and he told us he was probably tired which seemed fair enough, his condition only got worse throughout the weekend and on Monday morning he went to the vet which suspected worms so he got treated for that. he did not improve and on Wednesday we went again the puppy had not pooped for 36 hours, he got put on fluids and glykose and anti vomiting pills over night, today the vet found a stool with blood and other signs of parvo and it scared the living beejeeves out of us, he is obviously still in the vet recieving all the care he can provide him. i was wondering if maybe some of you have experience with this and can share their experiences with us

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Many many years ago I had a basset puppy who, although vaccinated, developed parvo. That didn't turn out so well. I'm sure treatment has gotten much better since then, and I will be pulling for Fred. Please keep us updated on his condition.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww the poor wee darling. :( An 8-hour trip must have been awful for him and in a hot country too! Did he have drinks on route because he'd soon dehydrate 8 hours in intense heat?

I do hope your baby pulls through 100%. I have never known anyone whose pup has had Parvo because most probably of the number of puppies that are innoculated... but yours is so young so how has he contracted Parvo when pups gain immunity from most conditions from the mother?

Get well soon wee Fred!

Edit: Have you spoken to the breeder to ask if the rest of the litter are OK?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
During the trip he drank good amounts of water and he arrived well hydrated and such, we have been in contact with the seller and him to the breeder (there ain`t any basset breeders in Greece so this one came from Hungary) and according to the seller none of the others in the litter have it, however im guessing from Hungary down to here there has been other dogs with him on the trip.
The vet suspects the parvo kicked in on Monday and that the whole thing is likely to have started from a bad worm infestation even though he had deworming as normal but apparantly they dont check to make sure they keep the pills/paste down in some vet clinics in Hungary.
We are going to the vets in the evening to see him and get some updates.

Thank you so much for the well wishes :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
During the trip he drank good amounts of water and he arrived well hydrated and such, he was travelling during night aswell and the max temp was around 28c. We have been in contact with the seller and him to the breeder (there ain`t any basset breeders in Greece so this one came from Hungary) and according to the seller none of the others in the litter have it, however im guessing from Hungary down to here there has been other dogs with him on the trip.
The vet suspects the parvo kicked in on Monday and that the whole thing is likely to have started from a bad worm infestation even though he had deworming as normal but apparantly they dont check to make sure they keep the pills/paste down in some vet clinics in Hungary.
We are going to the vets in the evening to see him and get some updates.

Thank you so much for the well wishes :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Have you had an update on Fred's condition today?

What's the point of dosing with worming tablets if the clinic doesn't check whether the pup has swallowed it? How useless is that to any animals?:confused: How do worms cause Parvo? I'm going to Google Parvo to see where it originates and I hope all will be well for Fred.

I'm guessing it was some type of puppy farm where he is from and they are probably not as particular as breeders who bring up their dogs in a nice family environment! Apologies if it wasn't, but it's terrible that a young pup should be ill when it should be big, strong and healthy. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the worms didnt directly cause it, but due to weakening his immune system aswell as draining him for energy it might have let the parvo develope more easily.
We have the name of the breeder and i will check him up a little in the evening, thats if i can figure what it says.
his situation hasnt changed over night but it wasnt expected to see any improvement until tomorrow really. He is very particular about where he leaves his stools tho which i hope is a good sign aswell as he is a little curious tho he does not have much energy. We`re going to see him in the evening and i hope the vet has some good news for us

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went to the vet to see Fred, status quo from yesterday. it`s his 3rd day in the vet with iv`s and the whole lot.
His white cells are high but his hermatocrit is low. The weekend seems to be quite crucial as if he is gonna make it or not, crossing our fingers and hoping for the best for our little boy

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sending buckets of drool to Fred - I hope he pulls through and has a long and happy life with you.

Parvo is a very scary disease - but he's at the vet geting everything he needs to recover.

You're in my thoughts and prayers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update : just talked to the vet, the parvo seemed better today but due to all the diarrhea his intestine has lumped up and he needs surgery now. his bloodlevels are not good and the vet wasn`t too optimistic about him making it :(

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww poor wee Fred... I hope your vet will do his best for him as I'm not sure I can click on this topic anymore as it's too upsetting! :( :( :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update : Fred made it through the surgery to the surprise of the vet, 15 cm of his intestines are removed and put back together, the parvo seems to be on retreat aswell and his bloodvalues were better.
He is not out of the woods yet but atleast there is some positive news to clinge to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went and saw Fred now, if everything goes as planned he will be coming home on Tuesday, things can still go wrong and such with the intestine and such but till now he`s recovered alot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunatly Fred had to give in to all the illness last night. Thanks for all the wellwishes and i hope no one else ever has to experience this rollercoaster from hell

1 - 20 of 34 Posts