Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost our black lab to bloat last week. I am heartbroken and angry. Today would have been his 9th birthday.

He bloated in October of 2005 and we were home and noticed it right away. Even at that, we almost lost him. He had some complications with his heart and spent awhile in the ICU. They attached his stomach during the surgery to lessen the chance of this ever happening again.

But last week when we were not at home, it did happen again. By the time we got home and found him and got him to the vet, it was too late. We had to put him down. It just tears me up inside to know that he was suffering so much pain and we were not here for him. I hope it was comforting for him to have Dixie by his side, which is where she was when we got home.

Dixie and Ike were inseparable. She was always following him around whether he wanted her there or not. I know she'll miss him as much as we will.

Rest in peace big guy - we love you.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Condolences to you and your family- this is so sad. I know this will be hard on Dixie since they were so bonded. You are in my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope in time you will find some comfort in the many good memories you have of Ike. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What a beautiful boy...this is terrible news and you are in my thoughts and prayers. Like the others, I hope that the good memories and the love you shared help heal the pain. I am sure that having her there did help him.

God Speed Ike.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I have 2 labs and a Basset. One of my Labs is 15.5 and we're facing the loss of her soon. That's the heartbreak of having pets, they don't live as long as we'd like them to. He was a beautiful Lab.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
He looks like a gentle soul. I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. I lost my ancient German Shepherd girl to bloat a few weeks ago, so I understand completely. :(

Take care of Dixie and yourselves. :(

·
Registered
775 Posts
Your guys looks like a sweet dog. I'm so sorry you lost him. I hope Dixie bounces back quickly. Lots of belly rubs for her to make her feel better. Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just hate hearing about lost loved ones...I am sorry for your loss. Like everyone else has said just look to the good memories you had of Ike..and know that he is playing over the rainbow bridge with the many others who have gone before him...

~Heather

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all so much for your kind words.

I think it's going to be a long while before this terrible feeling passes, but remembering Ike and his quirky ways never fails to bring a smile.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I, too, am a Basset/Lab household. What a wonderful canine combination. yes? I am so very, terribly sorry for your loss. My heart and thoughts are with you and your family at this trying time. Peace. With love, Belinda and Molly (Basset) and Stryker (Lab).

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm so sorry you have lost Ike. He was such a handsome guy. Just try to remember the good times and know that Ike will always remain in your heart.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. Black labs have a special place in my heart, due to Blackie my childhood pet. My condolences.
Lisa

1 - 20 of 23 Posts