Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you live with a basset hound, somehow they seem to end up taking over your entire house. Another post got me to thinking about this, so I thought I would share a few of the ways I have customised my home to make life with my dogs easier. If you like some of these ideas, by all means go ahead and use them.

Here are two pictures of my built in trash and dog food containers that keep the dogs out of both the trash, and the dog food. Works very well.

This next picture is of our Dog Center. We built this because my wife wanted a place to set stuff when she was cooking. Because this was the area where we fed our dogs, we built this to allow different height dogs to drink/ eat comfortably and yet have the house looking clean and neat. Dog treats and leashes are in the bins behind the bowls. This works great as well.

Finally this picture shows the tree house I built in my dog kennel. The beagle loved to get on top of his dog house and bark. So I built him this tree house that is 8 feet high. He is no longer with us, but Kenworth, our basset hound, spends hours up there as he loves the outside!

The last thing I made was a dogwalk that goes from the house to the kennel. I don't have a picture of this, but it is covered with a roof so that my dogs don't have to walk through the lots of snow we get here in Maine. In the summer we let the dog door stay open and they go in and out of their kennel as they please.

Well that's my "Dog House". As you can see, my dogs are very spoiled.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Wow...I could see my hubby relate to you really well. He loves to build stuff for henrietta and winston too!

Nice work!! I like the feeding station, really functional.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Love the dog house, we have cat house. I won't let them(cats) go free outside, so we converted a sturdy powder coated dog kennel(5x10x6high), put on a roof and some ramps with perches connects with the house through a dog door that was already in a wall just not big enough for Oliver. Great to have litter boxes outside, except in the cold. Wish my husband was a little more into the build it, maybe I should get a table saw for myself :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
Looks like one 5 star doggie house you have there. I especially love the cupboard for the food and water,that must save the floor from getting into one awful mess. Brilliant ideas!!

A

·
0 Posts
That is a neat set up! Sabian and Pearly would be jelous! BEau, probably not so much! yvonne

·
Registered
25 Posts
What wonderful ideas. How I wish my husband or I had the skill and talent to poach them from you.
I especially like the tree house. I would enjoy having one of those for myself, never mind Bertie ;)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Way cool! I think you could sell the patterns for your stuff. That outside dog area is really neat! I'm trying to convince hubby we need one even though we have a fenced yard it just looks like fun.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Very nice. I'm always looking for ways to store the dog stuff conveniently, yet out of sight.Your yard looks like a canine playground! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the kind words. I've really worked hard to make my home dog friendly and since they never seem to want to go outside anymore, I guess I have done that.

As for selling my ideas...I'll gladly give them to my Basset Hound online friend's for free! If you like them, go ahead and use them.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
"Here are two pictures of my built in trash and dog food containers that keep the dogs out of both the trash, and the dog food. Works very well."

Unless a hasp with a padlock is added it won't work with Fischer, He breaks the strongest child proof locks in a month. Open doors by turning the knob, opens the refridgerator etc. One persitent hound when he wants to be.

A

·
0 Posts
Wow! I love the setup center for food and water. Especally the different hights for different size dogs. That is Really awesome. :) Also love the outdoor (dog) tree house!!!U put my household to shame. Good going. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts