Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a typical Saturday at the Rescue. When I first walked in I noticed one of the other volunteers in a kennel with a pointer mix named Otis. He had just come in that morning and was so upset that he peed on the floor. Poor guy just cried all day and wouldn't even eat. Needless to say I spent a fair amount of time in his kennel. I was with him when a man and his kids came in. I made my sales pitch and they went on to check out the other dogs. It wasn't long before they were back wanting to know more. The man wanted to make sure his girl could handle him, so I put his leash on him and outside we went. Otis was easily handled by the ten year old girl. Otis now has a new family. ;)

Emma's story leaves me slightly irritated. She was given up because apparently the kids who wanted her wouldn't take care of her. The mother took Emma (Yellow Lab) to the shelter and then we got her. Emma who wasn't taken care of had had a litter of pups of which the family kept one. Hmm, can't take care of Emma yet keeps a pup. :angry: I wouldn't be surprised to find the pup abandoned at some point too. At any rate I guess the lady felt some sort of responsibility as she donated money to get Emma spayed. Bad part is her and her boy came in to deliver the check. Emma was so happy to see her family. The boy even got in the kennel and petted her. Then they left. And Emma looked everywhere for them. It was really sad. But in the end she too will find a good home with people who will love her.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Once someone gives up a dog, they shouldn't be allowed to come back and "visit". It upsets the dog even more. Poor Emma. My heart aches for her. :angry:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm happy for Otis, but I feel for Emma. Poor girl. I'm sure she'll find a good home. Keep us posted.

~Heather

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know if anyone's seen the ad on TV for, I think it's PetSmart, where they show various mixed breed dogs and eachy says "I know how to sit," "I know how to stay," "I know how to roll over," "what I don't know is why I'm here?" "I just want to go home." Then they show that they're all in cages at the pound. I get tears in my eyes every time. This is the result of irresponsible owners and it just gets you so mad. :angry: I pray that Emma gets a wonderful forever home.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I pray that Emma gets a wonderful forever home.[/b]
Speaking of which, how's Homer doing? :(

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That commercial gets me too. I know when my fiance and I went to animal control to adopt Gibbs (we saw his picture online) there were many dogs that I would've taken home with me if I wouldn't have had my heart set on another basset. But I will say as soon as I saw Gibbs in person and before I saw his behavior or anything I begun crying and said to my fiance' "He's the one I want him, I want him, can we have him?" Of course my fiance wanted to see his behavior and such first. We didn't even know if Lily and him would get along-it was a huge leap of faith and I am happy it worked out. I couldn't work at a place like that I want to take all the lovelies home.

~Heather

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Volunteering with rescue organizations and in shelters must be one of the emotionally hardest things for an animal lover to do. Thank you for sharing the two stories, and hats off to you for what you do.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really enjoy my work at the rescue. Unlike the shelter all these dogs have foster homes to go to at the end of the day. There have been a few though that I would like to bring home. And if I hadn't just recently rescued Penny (third dog) from the shelter I would have brought a little female basset mix named Daisy Mae home. I worked hard that day and found her a good home though. Anyway, here is a picture of sweet Emma.

[attachment=230:Emma.jpg]

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts