Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 2 Christmas' I have asked both Bob and family members for a sander to do the hounds nails. Each year it does not appear under the tree. So, I shall buy it for myself come February (still recovering from Dec. bills). Does anyone here Dremmel their hounds nails and if so do you use a Dremmel or an Oster? And why?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have one I'll sell you, cheap. I bought it thinking that even though Stomps wouldn't let me come near him with nail nippers, for some reason he'd be more accepting of a buzzing power tool. I even tried to touch it to my own fingernail to see what it felt like and couldn't drum up the nerve. P.S. I have a Dremmel.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I use a dremmel and not one sold specifically for doggy nails. I have a small regular dremmel tool and i bought the proper grade attachment for nails. I use it on Molly and Rosie, and used it on previous dogs. I have not yet tried it on Lily, which I will regret I'm sure. I started using it on all the others when they were very young. I trim with clippers and then sand with the dremmel because clippers can leave rough edges. And they all don't mind it. They prefer to the clippers.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I use a dremel on George and I really like it. I did start slowly -- waiting until he was tired, getting him used to the noise first, doing just one nail, lots of treats...

He actually fell asleep last time I was doing his nails and I used to struggle with clippers. (Mind you, this is a dog who's slept through earthquakes, trees falling on the house ... so it's not a huge stretch for him :) .)

I think it's also important to understand the technique as dremels can generate a lot of heat; this link really helped me - www.DoberDawn.com , go to the link on the lower left - "How to Dremel Dog's Nails".

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use to clip Dozer's nails when he was a puppy, never had to clip Digger's. Neither has been clipped for almost a year.
They are mostly outside dogs, running around chasing each other, so that must help. Plus there are holes in the backyard big enough to bury a cat. The neighbor has 12 cats, I wonder if that has to do anything with it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts