Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I see from my last post in it was 2007! Yikes where does the time go? Many of you probably won't remember me, my name is Arlene and my basset is Opus, we lived in central Barcelona. We have since moved back to Ireland, Opus was 14 in October and is still going strong ( as are the three cats, Diva is almost 20!, Bill is 14 and the one we rescued in Spain is 8)
Opus has been totally blind since November, but it hasn't slowed him down any. Still heads out for his evening stroll, at his pace naturally. Glad to see so many of the older faces here, hellow to the new- baroo pups- and sorry to see that some have gone to bridge.
Photos of Opus are from December, snowtime, he was unimpressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi Arlene, YES I remember Opus. So nice to have you back. I remember a pic you posted of one of your cats balancing outside on your windowledge several stories up from your flat in Barcelona. Great pic!!

Sorry about Opus being blind, but wonderful that he has reached the ripe old age of 14!!!!

Lovely pics of him and he certainly doesn't look that age.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, that was Bill the Cat, he is quite the daredevil still! I can't tell you how many times that cat has virtually stopped my heart. I thought I'd be happy leaving the 5th floor apartment behind, but he has rediscovered roofs and trees and vermin. His latest trick is to catch rats and bring them home as gifts, sometimes dead, but sometimes not!!
I don't think Opus really minds being blind, or if it bothers him unduly I can't really tell. You know bassets, such scent hounds anyway. Once I don't leave unusual items in unusual places he still tears about the place with no real let up. Long may he continue to do so!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Opus looks like he is a wonderful old friend. Have you had him since he was a pup or did you befriend him later in life?

It makes me think of the two Basset pups I had as a child who I saw grow all the way into seniors! One made it to 14 the other 16.

He looks like so much cuddly magic!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is an old dote, he really is. I've had him from when he was 13 weeks old. I would love it if he made it to 16, that would be amazing, as long as his life quality was something he enjoyed. He is currently unconsious with his cat, snoring up a storm after a breakfast of scrambled eggs. :)

I have no battery in my camera at the moment, but this is he and she last Christmas, hogging the fire, naturally!

And one of him about to nom his cheese and duck birthday cake! ( he was most impressed with this)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My goodness, he looks very good for an old man. I love his name, too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much, he's not bad at all for 14. I might be incorrect, but I am a firm believer in daily exercise for the older hound, even on days they'd rather not go out. ( Opus is not a big fan of the rain, although once he's out and about in it he is rather resigned). I think it keeps them active and interested in things, it also helps keeps the weight down and illness aside, I hope to walk this old boy many more days to come.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Glad to have you back!!!! I do remember you and your "adventures" with your fur kids. Opus does look wonderful in the pictures. So sorry about his eyes, but it looks like he is taking it in stride. What a wonderful senior guy!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! I think as long as his nose is fully operational, vision is the least of his worries. As you can see from the DROOL, everything seems to be ship shape in the 'I know you have food' department despite his blindness. :)

Oh, to Sadeyes, Bill says hello, although he is thankfully not dangling from a ledge this time.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts