Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20080506...a__dog_law.html

For those interested, above is a link to a Philadelphia Inquirer article regarding Oprah Winfrey's support of the proposed new Kennel Regulations which are currently stuck in the legislative process.

Quote:
"Oprah Winfrey - the woman with the power to send authors to the top of the New York Times best-seller list - is planning to appeal to viewers tomorrow to back a crackdown on puppy mills in Pennsylvania.

Winfrey is expected to read excerpts from a letter Gov. Rendell sent to her last month seeking support for legislation to overhaul the state's dog law, according to participants in a Monday conference call with producers of The Oprah Show.

A spokesman for the show declined through e-mail to comment on the program for the live show.

Tomorrow's show follows an investigation by the show highlighting abuses in Lancaster County commercial kennels. The video showed sick dogs, dogs crammed into small cages, and dogs being mishandled by owners.

It generated one of the largest e-mail responses in the show's history, a spokesman said.

Two years ago, Rendell vowed to improve conditions in Pennsylvania's commercial breeding kennels. He wrote Winfrey after the show aired seeking help to counter "strong opponents in the breeding industry." "

·
Registered
782 Posts
This can't happen soon enough. I just get ill everytime I think of those places!

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
This can't happen soon enough. I just get ill everytime I think of those places![/b]
The problem is no one as of yet has been able to craft legislation that does not effect hobby and sports breeds adverserly. The legislation is currently stuck because of these problems. keep in mind the blue prints for most of this type of legislation is from PETA HSUS which would like to see the end to any breeding and pet ownership ultimately. It is important that any legislation passed does more good than harm but general speaking the horrors of puppy mills are inhumane conditions which is already illegal. For legislatures and polititions it is far easier to claim sucesses enacting new useless legeslation rather than provide the tools i.e. money and man power to enforce the current ones.

Michael Tefts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but general speaking the horrors of puppy mills are inhumane conditions which is already illegal.
Michael Tefts
quote]

Mike-

In Pa. it is perfectly legal to keep dogs in crates 24/7 which are so small they can barely turn around or stand. It is perfectly legal to keep them in sheds which swelter in the summer at over 100 degrees, and freeze in the winter at below zero. And on and on..

While enforcement IS a problem (see the "What Happened To Mr. High" thread), we do need new laws here.

You"re right about why the legislation is hung up- sportsmen and small breeders are terrified that they'll be adversely affected and are fighting any new legislation.

But honestly, the folks working on this are trying to find a way to make life better for the dogs and drive the puppymills out of this state, and they're honestly trying to write legislation that won't adversely affect legitimate small breeders and sportsmen.

We in Pa who support this effort are not a bunch of PETA radicals- we just honestly want the horror in the mills to end and are trying our best-

Respectfully,

Mary Gottfried

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Enforcement is definitely needed - but so are stronger laws. I beleive that currently a dog is not requried to be exercised at all if it can turn around in its cage. If it can't turn around it only has to be taken out for 30 minutes. Weekly, I think, but it might be daily. I have read the arguments of the sports breeders and honestly don't see anything in the legistlation that should put them out of business. One thread I read was where sports breeders were complaining about the slant of the ramps that the law required.

I have hoped that this passes since I first saw it. I would far rather the pendulum swing to overprotect the dogs, than allow the current sitution to continue. And, yes, I am aware of the law of unintended consequences.

I am thrilled that Oprah is continuing her campaign - I hope she does it for years to come.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts