Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted 2 questions and forgot the major one I wanted to ask!

Do bassets do better in pairs or singles?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I think they do better in doubles, but not two puppies at once. We can only have one, and one is more than enough for us right now.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think pairs are better too. But one puppy at a time.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Good ??-- and a f/u ?? i had... are 2 bassets louder then 1?

Down the line, thought we'd get Worm a basset friend once out of apt. But Worm is superquiet in our apt. don't get me wrong, he has a super loud bark that he uses only during play and w/other dogs. but not at home. wonder if we got basset friend, would they get each other to bark more...?

or maybe it's just that they bark more when they get older...?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah I only wanted one puppy at a time. I couldn't have handled two...at all. My sanity is frazzled enough as it is. IDK about the 2 = louder equation, but I am curious to find out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have three and only one of them can be noisy.
The boys are very quiet but Patience can be a bit vocal especially when she is playing.

So I would say it depends on the individual Hound.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I took my older son (9) to the pound to see what a full sized basset looked like (and so the kids could play with the dogs!) The woman at the shelter tried to convince me to take Trooper home, claiming he would teach our new puppy when we finally got him. All I could think was 2 dogs is twice the work! Trooper came in as a stray and is VERY vocal-never stopped barking even when I was trying to pet him. I would love two dogs but now that we have Flash and I see how much work he truly is, I would have lost my mind with another dog!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would say 2 but not at the same time. We adopted Daisy when she was a year old. She was our failed foster and knows how to howl. Maggie was about 2 and still hasn't learned to howl. We thought she would learn from Daisy.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Doppler is super quiet. The only noise we hear from him is barking when he's outside and growling while he's playing with Virga. But Virga never shuts up it seems! She's constantly making noise. Especially when she's playing with her brother. Then it's growls and barks and snarls. It's ridiculous and more than a little annoying.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Do bassets do better in pairs or singles?
basset tend do do better when they are not alone. so it depend on your situation. retired stay at home etc Also a basset does not need another basset any companion and not necessarily another dog general works.

ALso when talking about any breed trait while the majority of the breed may fall in the norms there are still signifacant numbers of individual that fall outside those norms so the certainly a number of basset that are better off a single dogs so more important than breed tendency is to take in the personality and temerament of the individual dog into account.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts