Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been invited to attend a sort of refresher/training opportunity this Sunday. The lady that does the TDI certifications is having a get together at the local VA hospital for folks and their dogs and a pre test experience. Not sure of what it will entail exactly but we are to meet there with the dogs. And go back the following Sunday without the dogs to shadwo other therapy teams already working there. The test is March 5th. I can't wait. I know Lily can do it. I just hope she is in the "zone" that night.
She actually managed a four minute down stay Tuesday night even with the trainer tossing cat toys in front of her nose. I was so proud and frankly amazed.
Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well done to you both. Therapy training seems so much more organized in America than it does here. It really looks like all your hard work with Lily is paying off.

A

·
0 Posts
Congrats! I am really getting excited about possibly doing this with my Maggie soon.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
"Therapy training seems so much more organized in America than it does here."

not necessarily. May nursing homes and even some hospital do not require any certification just someone willing to spend the time. The real reason it seems more organized and such is to limit liability. The USA tort system is way out of wack so to limit liability training standards and cerify orgainzation have been formed. With out such many hospitals etc would never allow the benefits that can come from therapy dogs because of the threat of a massive lawsuit if something were to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts