Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mattie is one spoiled hound or one very well taken cared of hound which ever way you want to look at it. Example....

Mattie got up at 4:50a.m. this morning to go to bathroom, my husband got up with her (I normally do but he had to get up at 5 anyways). So when he let her back in she made a bee line back to the bedroom to get me up. I knew what she wanted, She want me to get on the couch and her on the love seat. She just want me in the same room as her as she slept. It didn't matter that my husband was up, she wants to be close to her mommy!! :)

And the sad thing is I got up and got on the couch and went back to sleep as she slept on the love seat.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Not sad at all. My story is rather pathetic, however.

I get up to use the bathroom, then go and let Boomer out to do his thing.

He then follows me back to our bedroom, and hops in bed with me and hubby (on my side, of course) where he snuggles in for a couple of more hours while hubby has to get ready for work.

Hubby told me today that he gets a kick out of looking in on us before he heads out the door; both of us sacked back out, and a nose poking out from under the covers.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly sleeps next to me every night...since she arrived here on 9/3. Though last night, she slept on the sofa with the cat for about half the night. I joked with my husband that once she is full-grown, we'll need to upgrade to a king size bed. He agreed. I think we'll need a bigger sofa too. You know they're spoiled when you upgrade your furniture to suit them!

·
Registered
774 Posts
You know they're spoiled when you upgrade your furniture to suit them!
I bought new furniture in February and one of my first requirements is it had to be something that wouldn't be difficult to keep dog hair off of.

I get up and let the dogs out, two of them sleep in my room and Cannoli sleeps with my daughter. After they come back in they all jump in bed with my boyfriend and sleep. I always get a kick out of peeking in there and seeing them all piled in together. After I'm done getting myself together it's time for the "doggy alarm clock" wich is me saying "Come on guys lets go wake up Morgen!" All three dogs run to my daughters room and as soon as I open the door they pile on her bed and help me wake her up. It's never a bad morning with that group!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sad at all. My story is rather pathetic, however.

I get up to use the bathroom, then go and let Boomer out to do his thing.

He then follows me back to our bedroom, and hops in bed with me and hubby (on my side, of course) where he snuggles in for a couple of more hours while hubby has to get ready for work.

Hubby told me today that he gets a kick out of looking in on us before he heads out the door; both of us sacked back out, and a nose poking out from under the covers.
Dont worry I have sad stories like that, but normally I am the one kicked out. When Mattie was younger and it was easier for her to jump on our bed, she would race me back to our bed to see who get in first. Normally she won and I would be kicked out to the couch so she could cuddle with my husband/her daddy until he had to go to work!

So don't feel bad, it happens to us all!! :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
With the weather colder, Boomer gets longer snuggles in bed. He always is on my side of the bed, and cuddles in very close. You couldn't get a piece of paper between us! My hubby just rolls his eyes and calls him a "momma's boy". He's just jealous, right Boomer?

He's also a lot better than an electric heating pad. A lot of mornings when I lie on my side, he is up against my back and it makes my back feel so good.

·
Registered
972 Posts
agreed and agreed....bowser is up at 4-4:30, then i've forced him back into HIS bed, but then he can get up and stay with me for a couple hours after we get up at 7:30 and make brekfast for "dada" and he leaves for work. I only let him sleep with me now after my husband is gone for the morning because he'll push me out of the bed and steal my covers! at least with Kevin gone i can scoot over and get more bed *lol* (and yes, we have a king size bed!) and he's sooo warm, and he always wants to be in the same room with mama!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
We are renting a house that we may buy next year. My wife and I were discussing it off and on and decided it probably wasn't for us because it has too many stairs for our two hounds.
I totally understand this. We are looking at buying a house and our wishlist is probably half things to suit our dogs (present and future), like for example backyard size, no stairs, as much hardwood or tile as possible, etc. We plan to build a custom house one day and have already made plans to include a "dog room" with tile or concrete backing up to a yard where we can wash the dogs, leave them when we have company, or keep a stray or foster separate temporarily.

·
Registered
767 Posts
When I got Maggie as a pup she would get carsick. The vet said I needed to train her to ride in the car. This process took about 3 weeks. Now 2 years later I have to take her for a car ride every night or she won't stop barking at me. If I do it too early it ends up two rides to keep her happy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gwenny gets in between my husband and I when we are sitting on the couch together, she makes him move over so she can sit in between us. He listens to her, too! Haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a spoiled basset on my hands as well!!! Starting in October, I began a bag for him for Christmas. It was half full of various treats and things for him, he likes to bark when people come over so...I dipped into the Christmas bag. Well, I say dipped, he's had 4 big bones from there....He is SO spoiled! But, it's hard not to spoil them...right?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a terrible basset spoiler.

When my previous basset/beagle mix Rosie got her rabies shot, she got very sick and was throwing up. I covered my queen sized bed with plastic bags, then put on the sheets and I *slept on the couch*

In our new place, we purposely put in wood floors and tile in the whole house just "in case" we got a basset one day. I selected furniture and kitchen cabinets based on ease of cleaning and durability to chewing. The icing on the cake is my front porch. The house used to have a step but before we even moved in (no dog at the time) my husband had the contractor pour a ramp so a hound would not have to step up or down.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I am a terrible basset spoiler.

When my previous basset/beagle mix Rosie got her rabies shot, she got very sick and was throwing up. I covered my queen sized bed with plastic bags, then put on the sheets and I *slept on the couch*

In our new place, we purposely put in wood floors and tile in the whole house just "in case" we got a basset one day. I selected furniture and kitchen cabinets based on ease of cleaning and durability to chewing. The icing on the cake is my front porch. The house used to have a step but before we even moved in (no dog at the time) my husband had the contractor pour a ramp so a hound would not have to step up or down.
I'm opting for tile and wood in a house for the same reason. We also had to get a dog door specially installed only 1 inch off the ground so that Anabelle could get in and out (typically they install them closer to 4 inches off the ground and she only has about .75 inch of clearance).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts