Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issues with claws wearing excessively?
Millie is 17 weeks old and seems to wear one particular claw much faster than the rest on both front feet(pic attached). She drags her front feet just a bit when walking slowly (doesn't do it when the pace is picked up a bit).
We've tried keeping her off concrete and only walking on grass but it's near on impossible as she never walks in a straight line, she follows her nose in a sine wave pattern across the footpath despite us trying to keep her on the grass berms.

Is there anything we can do to minimize it or is there a product like a claw cover or similar to protect that one claw?
Or do we just have to avoid concrete 100%?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Has anyone else had issues with claws wearing excessively?
Millie is 17 weeks old and seems to wear one particular claw much faster than the rest on both front feet(pic attached). She drags her front feet just a bit when walking slowly (doesn't do it when the pace is picked up a bit).
We've tried keeping her off concrete and only walking on grass but it's near on impossible as she never walks in a straight line, she follows her nose in a sine wave pattern across the footpath despite us trying to keep her on the grass berms.

Is there anything we can do to minimize it or is there a product like a claw cover or similar to protect that one claw?
Or do we just have to avoid concrete 100%?

We had that happen with one of ours' when in Quarantine, on concrete 100%. He wore the front middle two nails down alarmingly to the point that before the quick had gone back far enough, he started bleeding a lot - blood-bath. This was a conformation problem with him - many hounds do wear certain nails more than others and 9 times out of 10, this is nail dragging, for some construction problem - nothing to be done about that.

Looking at those nails, you probably should clip the longer nails back rather than protecting the scuffed on. You are lucky to have pink nails where the quick can be seen, and avoided, rather than black nails!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had that happen with one of ours' when in Quarantine, on concrete 100%. He wore the front middle two nails down alarmingly to the point that before the quick had gone back far enough, he started bleeding a lot - blood-bath. This was a conformation problem with him - many hounds do wear certain nails more than others and 9 times out of 10, this is nail dragging, for some construction problem - nothing to be done about that. Looking at those nails, you probably should clip the longer nails back rather than protecting the scuffed on. You are lucky to have pink nails where the quick can be seen, and avoided, rather than black nails!!
Thanks, I'll give that a go. We had a chihuahua previously who had black claws and had to rely on the vet to trim his claws. It's great being able to see exactly where the quick begins.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
I also had one with a front end construction issue who would wear down the two center toenails on his front feet. This never seemed to be an issue for him, and it was four less nails to clip for me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts