Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had Elwood for a little over a year now. He's 2.5-3 years old. We're seriously considering adding another dog to our family. BUT.... Elwood is a quiet fellow, sure he whines, squeaks, grumbles, and mutters, but he doesn't BARK much and we like that! If we add another Basset will they serenade me with a duet of "arrrooooo" all day?

·
Registered
162 Posts
No, and he'll LOVE the company!! Good luck, Belinda.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We brought Maxwell home in April when he was 4 months old and added Hannah in August when she was 8 weeks old and it's the best thing we ever did. Maxwell has never been much of a barker and that hasn't changed. It is definitely crazy at times with two young puppies, but they have soooo much fun together. Two is better!! :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've always had 2 dogs together so I don't know any other way. I love having 2. They keep each other company and it's also 2x the love. =)

~Heather

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're definitely going to add a 2nd dog! I spoke to someone about he Basset today, but I'm not sure about him. he's 18 months, intact, and housebroken, beyond that he knows "shake" and is a confirmed countersufer/food thief. Ugh. That's exactly how Elwood was when I got him, and it took 6 months before he was easy to live with, and he's still 100% unreliable around food LOL I don't think I can fend off sneak attacks from 2 directions!
I was in contact with a non-basset rescue also, and we are thinking about trying fostering... I don't know... maybe we should go meet "snickers" the basset?

·
Registered
761 Posts
We had Doppler for about a year before I finally "convinced" my husband to get another one. It wasn't really that hard. :D But I wanted a friend for Doppler and since he got along with all the other dogs he's met, we figured he'd do well with a puppy. And he has! And it's great. They keep each other company and wear each other out. So two is definitely better!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think two is better as well! When Ella was 6 months we adopted Ringo who is 5 and Ella was pretty jealous and would get possessive of things like the bed and when she was laying on my lap but she has mostly gotten over that they are wonderful buds together! Gives Ella someone to pounce on instead of trying to eat carpet and things :p Ella is most definitely a counter surfing food stealing rascal and Ringo can be too but you learn some techniques when you have two on your hands and manage :)

I definitely think you should take yours and go meet the basset prior to adopting, I assume most rescues would be fine for that. It would be very frustrating to adopt a dog and end up the two don't get a long that well.

Good luck with your search!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have brother & sister bassets. They were real hard as puppies and chewed everything and I do mean everything. Easier now but they will still swipe stuff off tables and counter. BUT, that said, they are definately great together and well worth the "double trouble".

·
Registered
165 Posts
Great stuff. We've already decided that we're going to add another to the mix in another year or so. I love all of the pictures of two and three and I just know Fergus would love a companion his own size and stature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts