Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background...

Ella has eaten poop since the day we got her at 3 months old. She was so bad at one time that she would start turning around before the poop was out of her butt. So these are the things we tried to break her habit...

-pills from petsmart to make the poop yucky
-adolphs meat tenderizer on her food
-pumpkin in her food
-switched food 3 different times

nothing worked so we turned to just always being out with her so we could pull her away and pick the poop up right away. She doesn't turn around instantly to eat it anymore but she still eats it and at the dog park she runs over to any dog she sees squating to see if there is some poop to eat.

We also have another basset now so there is more chances for her to eat poop if we can't grab the scooper and get there in time.

So my question...

Now that she is 1 you think it is worth trying the things above again to see if they work now? Or is once a poop eater always a poop eater? Any other suggestions for stopping poop eating?

I'm pretty tired of having to run over to poop whenever they go and the worst part is at the dog park if she is trying to eat a poop she gets possessive and will snap at other dogs if they come too close :mad: She knows she isn't suppose to so if she sees me coming a lot of the time she picks it up and runs away so she can it! She is too tricky!!

Thanks Everyone!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hopefully other people are like you and pick up after their dogs so there shouldn't be any poo left lying around for your dog to eat! No idea how to stop it unless you can put something foul tasting on it immediately she poos so that it should put her off, but I have no idea what you could use!!!

Edit: Maybe some hot curry powder on it a few times!
What about a water pistol to squirt at your dog as soon as she turns around to look at it!!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Something else you could try is to get some balloons and quickly blow one up and when she poos and turns round to look at her poo and eat it! Prick the balloon and perhaps a few loud bangs for a few days will startle her and stop her awful habit--which I know is quite common but must give them bad breath!!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Put her on a leash when she goes out (yeah,I know a lot more trouble) when she goes to eat poop give the leash a quick jerk and release, firmly say "NO". The best collar to use would be a choke chain,be sure you have it on properly or it won't help. You will have to do this for a while,after that the "NO" should be enough to stop her but you may need to repeat this method a few times before she stops. This is the only true way I have found to stop a poop eater unless you are going to be there every time to pick it up.But that doesn't teach her to stop. One other thing if you want to invest in it.There is an E-Collar(not the ones Vet's use)although it looks like a shock collar, it vibrates,(no shock collars) it could be worth your while.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've also heard of putting some pineapple in the food which is supposed to make the poo taste bad (can't imagine that it would actually taste good to begin with, ugh). Research it though because I've never done it, just saw it on "It's Me or the Dog!"

~Heather

·
Registered
973 Posts
Anabelle does this too, though not nearly as bad. For some dogs it is instinct in order to hide the fact that they've been there. For instance a mother dog that's trying to hide her puppies from predators will eat the poo of all of them to hide the evidence of them being there. In your case it sounds more like she enjoys it though. Dogs can be so strange sometimes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sammy eats poop. She is seven now and still does this if we aren't right there. We are in the habit of regular times to go which helps but sometimes if we aren't home...well there is evidence that she had a snack. She doesn't eat just any poop. It must be her own or Luther's - no other dog. Apparently she has her standards. :confused:

We have tried everything from pills, powders, clicker training, leash training and the "no" command. The only thing that works is the command to "leave it" but of course you must be there for it to work.

I had some temporary success with the powder but after a while the nasty taste became palatable. Go figure. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts