Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start incorporating some 0mega-3 into Gwen's food. Which is the best to start with and how much should I begin with. She is 8 months old and weighs 26 pds. I have flax seeds, flax seed oil, and fish oil caplets. Which kind of omega-3 would be best (fish based or plant based) ? I read that I have to start in smaller doses at first. Should I wait until she is older? I changed my daughter to a high omega three diet (she has trouble focusing in school) so I just want to do the same for everyone in the family after hearing of the great benefits of it.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I changed my daughter to a high omega three diet (she has trouble focusing in school) so I just want to do the same for everyone in the family after hearing of the great benefits of it.
A dog and a humans matablism is very different, There are a whole host of supplements and such for dogs based on public demand based on what they heard is helpfull for humans, Most of these actual do more harm than good for dogs.

IMHO most comercial dogs food are low if fat and as such Omega 3 and Six as well That said unless the dog is suffering some sort of inflamitory problem or condition ie cancer, allergies,joint problems etc then omega six is actual general more benefital to dog than 3. The general accept ratio should be 1/5 to 1/10 omega 3 to omega six. If you are going to suppliment with oil a plant based oil that is not unusually high in omega 3's is general the best route given that most higer end dog food already have increased omega fatty acids in a proper ratio. Before considering sumplimenting I would suggest increase the quality of the dog food one that contains more fat, more esential fatty acid is proper balance,
Omega Fatty Acids: Sources, Effects, and Therapeutic Uses in Dogs

The Importance Of Using Balanced Omegas In A Diet

In other words... if you are using a dog food that states "BALANCED OMEGAS" you can only supplement with a Balanced Omega product. A proper combination of 6 and 3 supplements can be found in most health food stores and through your veterinarian.
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid and your Puppy)

Omega fatty acids, dog food essentials!
For omega-3 the risks are lower than for omega-6 However, when using fish oil supplements these also contain vitamin A or D and these do have a maximum daily dosage. Usually when you feed your pooch a complete and balanced diet, there is no need to supplement

...Please consider switching to a high quality dog food instead of supplementing cheap dog food with expensive supplements.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts