Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71/2 yr old male basset who is a picky eater. Approximately 2 yrs ago when there was all that fuss about dog food and the recalls I decided to cook for him instead. My source was a book that had a recipe called "Spot's Stew" which he seemed to like. However like anything else he seemed to get bored with this . He is very used to people food.but with all the new products out there in Natural Dog Food such as "BLUE BUFFALO"I would like to try to wean him back to dry dog food so that i know he is getting the proper nutrition which he probably is lacking in people food. Sometimes he will eat this and other times will go more than a day if I let him without eating. HE is overweight and even though we go for WALKS He gets no exercise as we can be out for 20 minutes and he walks maybe 5 min. :):) The rest of time is spent smelling everything. Any advice as to how to get him to eat dog food:rolleyes:and what brand would be recomended. Nothing like purina etc .would be acceptiable to be. I would be looking for the natural foods that are on the market now.

Sincerly
OLLIE"S MOM

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 71/2 yr old male basset who is a picky eater. Approximately 2 yrs ago when there was all that fuss about dog food and the recalls I decided to cook for him instead. My source was a book that had a recipe called "Spot's Stew" which he seemed to like. However like anything else he seemed to get bored with this . He is very used to people food.but with all the new products out there in Natural Dog Food such as "BLUE BUFFALO"I would like to try to wean him back to dry dog food so that i know he is getting the proper nutrition which he probably is lacking in people food. Sometimes he will eat this and other times will go more than a day if I let him without eating. HE is overweight and even though we go for WALKS He gets no exercise as we can be out for 20 minutes and he walks maybe 5 min. :):) The rest of time is spent smelling everything. Any advice as to how to get him to eat dog food:rolleyes:and what brand would be recomended. Nothing like purina etc .would be acceptiable to be. I would be looking for the natural foods that are on the market now.

Sincerly
OLLIE"S MOM
whoa, that color font is unreadable...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:pI have a 71/2 yr old male basset who is a picky eater. Approximatley2yrs ago when there was all that fuss about dog food and the recalls I decided to cook for him instead. My source was a book that had a recipe called "SPOT'S STEW' which he seemed to like:DHowever like anything else he seemed to get bored with this. He is very used to people food but with all the new products out there in Natural Dog Food such as 'BLUE BUFFALO'' I would like to try to wean him back to dry kibble so that I know he is getting the proper nutrition which he may be lacking in People Food althouth he also gets a vitamin every day. :cool: Sometimes he will eat this other times will go a day or so without eating unless he gets his People Food. He is overweight and even though we go for walks he gets no excercise as we can be out for 20 minutes and he walks maybe a total of 5 minutes. The rest of time is spent SMELLING anything and everything. Any advice on how to get him back to dry food (no cans) and what brands would be recomended in the Natural Foods for dogs. Is BLUE BUFFALO ok for him and what about the one that has the duck or fish as their ingredients. Some are higher in protien than others. Is that ok being as he is not such an active dog. Sorry about color of font on previous thread. Hopefully this is easier to read. Thanks Ollie's Mom

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Unlike cats a health dog will not intentiall stave itself to death. If it is hungry enough it will eat. Picky eaters are created by owners dogs are not born that way. Once a dog learns by holding out it can get a taistier meal it will continue to do so.

Put the food bowl down for 10-20 minutes then pick it pu regardless if the dog has eaten or not. If not do not offer treats ect between meal and repeat for then next meal. it may take seveal days to a week but the dog will eat. provided there is not an under lying health problem and there is nothing wrong with the food i.e. spoiled.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 5 month old basset got a little too used to table scraps that my boyfriend was feeding him and became a picky eater. He eats his dog food better if I just add a little warm water to it. My vet suggested this to me she called it natural gravy lol. I feed toby nutro natural choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts