Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Olivia to the groomer on Saturday morning, and she has already started to smell again. The groomer said her smell is typical, and that as far as she could tell there was no reason to worry. Her ears and skin look good.

She smells a bit like an old sock with Fritos in it. Sorry, it's what comes to mind when I smell her. :roll:

Any ideas on how to manage the smell? This morning I took her out, and I could smell her bed before we even got back to the room.

T

·
0 Posts
Well, Twinkie's not particularly stinkie, but in between baths, I have been using a product called Minute Groom. Got it from QVC. You spray it on, brush it in, and towel it off. It has a good smell and keeps her fresh in between baths. She does have the Frito feet smell, especially noticable after she's been sleeping. Yes, it is a common odor for the houndies.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The Frito smell could come from the food that you feed her, if it has corn as one of the main ingredients. You could try a food without corn and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yup, try to find dog food without corn.
I bought mine from Costco, Lamb and Rice formula (no corn at all).

And every Sunday, I have a quick cleaning session with them. I wipe their skin underneath the jaw area, ears, armpit with a wet towel (scented with herbal). I also diluted some listerine with water, and wipe their teeth with it.
Ahhh....refresh!

A

·
0 Posts
some bassets have a more "houndy" smell than others.

Ruby isn't on a corn based diet but she has the frito smell too.

A

·
0 Posts
Oh Bassets. In the last three weeks I've had two neighbours 'comment' that they could smell Opus in the lift here in the building. This maybe be so, he is rather houndy smelling in a small confined space. But he gets a bath every two weeks and that's as much as he is going to get. There are offices in my building and two doctor's clincs, so there are people of all smells coming in and out all day. I don't comment about that. And I 'informed' my neighbours, that I find the smell of tobacco far more repugnant than a faint smell of dog(they are smokers).
Arlene and Opus.

·
Registered
198 Posts
No corn in dogfood here either. Hannah has very little odor at all, but Rodney gets that houndie smell very quickly. I bought some doggie cologne from Walmart (supposed to smell like georgio) and it does help. I also wipe him down with baby wipes every morning. We call Rodney our stinky boy. Cat

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, I will look at the food and see what is in it.

On a side note, Lina, I am a native of San Jose. Grew up out in Almaden Valley. Moved up here to Washington in 1998. My parents now live in the Cambrian area, close to Los Gatos.

M

·
0 Posts
Rusty isn't very stinky at all. Stickers is a real stinker!! I just happen to be one of those people who like that smell!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Olivia has a problem with yeast. I got home yesterday afternoon, and she was very smelly and I noticed she was scratching a lot.

I called my sister-in-law who works at the animal hospital in town, and she said I could bring her in. So I did.

They are saying I can start with shampoo, the one I got has chlorhexedine in it, and that if that does not work, we can go pills.

I told them I wanted that to be a last resort. My parents had a Cocker Spaniel who had the same condition, and the pills were very hard on her liver, and that caused more problems.

I was reading online about some wipes that use acetic acid to help in between baths, has anyone ever tried it? The other thing I saw was a mixture of vingar and water, but not sure I want a dog that smells like pickles.

Hmmm....fritos or pickles....some decision eh?

[ February 22, 2006, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Grommett ]

T

·
0 Posts
Someone has recommended listerine and baby oil before. The listerine helps kill the yeast, the baby oil keeps it in place. Now I know you're going to ask me the ratio of the mixture. I'm sorry, I don't remember, but you might find it searching the archives here.

Edited: Ok, I looked it up. Equal parts Listerine and baby oil.

Janet 'n Twinkie

[ February 22, 2006, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Twinkie's Mum ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts