Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here, I started a new thread for you, good suggestion by Murray. Sorry to hear about Oliver :(-- Worm

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning!

Our beautiful 7 year old Oliver is really sick. He has been back to the vet 3 times in the last 2 months. The vet is finally doing blood work on him and we'll know that results on Monday. His stool has been bloody and he is going to the bathroom all over the house. Recently he has lost all of his energy and 10lbs in a month. The vet put him on a strict diet which he hates. He assummed it was gastritis and sent us on our way. We're so worried because we just lost our Lab to old age a week ago. His shots are all up to date but he has all of the signs of Parvo which is making us crazy. He will not eat the perscribed diet or anything else. He normally would eat Pubix deli turkey and now he jus turns his head. Any suggestions? Going down hill fast and we can not do anything!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It doesn't sound like your vet is too interested in getting to the bottom of the problem. I'd consider trying a different one, sooner rather than later.

For the average Basset, refusing to eat deli meat would warrant an emergency visit.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Thanks Wworm for reposting this on a new thread-

As i said in the previous thread,
If he's lethargic and not eating or drinking, I'd get him to an emergency vet.Regardless, I agree with Soundtrack that a more aggressive approach to getting a diagnosis seems warranted.
Please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't want to sound all paranoid, but when Molly was sick, she was misdiagnosed for the first few days. Finally, a different doctor at our animal hospital recognized that it could be Addison's Disease. It is a disease that shows the same symptoms as a stomach bug, among other illnesses. It's nicknamed "the great pretender" disease for this reason. Her symptoms were lethargy, refusing to eat anything, diarrhea (then no poop once she hadn't been eating), vomiting, and trembling. I bring this up only because maybe you could mention it to the vet as a possibility. Left untreated, an Addison's dog will get worse and could die.The good news is that it's treatable. Bloodwork showed that Molly's electrolytes were out of balance and they went on to give her the Addison's test.

FYI: Addison's is seen more often in females than males, but the boys still get it.

I really hope you get answers and that Oliver is better soon. Lots of healthy vibes and loving drool coming his way.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Did you read my post for Oliver under "Problems" about force feeding him?If not please go there and read it.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Here is what bubbad posted on the other ("Problems") thread:

"baby food ,cat food,pedilyte,the milkshakes for old people,(not chocolate)You can make meat balls out of cooked chicken and rice or raw hamburg and rice,put one as far back in his throat as you can ,close his mouth till he swallows it. This is force feeding and as a last resort may save your dog."

·
Registered
24 Posts
when my childhood dog got really sick and wouldnt eat we used 'ensure' we got the biggest medicine dropper we could find (that would fit in his mouth) and gave it to him that way, it took a while but he at least got something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts