Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh the things my dear doggie finds to eat while we are on walks, you would think we don't feed her. We have stopped walking her on trash day because she always manages to find something dangerous to eat (who new the trash truck was so ill equipped to handle chicken bones!). The last two days have been a whole new adventure. Yesterday it was a squishy pile of cat poop I had the joy of plying from her jaws. Today she got a small rodent of some kind. She took two chews and swallowed it whole before I even had the chance to say drop it. She is up to date on all her shots, and I'll keep an eye out for tapeworms. But, It will be a while before I can stomach Olive kisses again.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've heard of dogs eating a lot of different things, but never a rodent. EWWWW!

Def keep an eye on her for worms, and yup, I don't blame you for not wanting Olive kisses right now.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ewwwww...Annie hasn't had a run in with a rodent, that I know of. Yuck.

I did find a lizard tail in the backyard a few weeks ago, but I find it hard to believe that she would eat the lizard and leave the tail...my guess is that the lizard ejected it's tail and got the heck outta there. When Annie was younger, thinner, and more agile (much like myself) she brought me a bird that she dispatched of...thanks little buddy.

Oh and she LOVES cat poop. When we walk I am pretty vigilant and can get her to "drop it" before swallowing, but I still wipe her mouth with a hankie soon after. If she makes it to the cat box in the house before I can close the door then she will indulge in the kitty roca as fast as she can.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a potential chipmunk or bird ingestion scare on 5/14 all I could see was Annie's back end as she was head first in backyard shrubbery and looked like she was woofing something down after hunting around on the ground uugh. So far no bowel obstructions paws still crossed! I had nightmares of sitting in front of the xray viewer at the vets looking at a little skeleton somewhere in her GI tract :(

·
Registered
767 Posts
I take the dogs frequently to run in the desert. One day as I let them out of the truck my phone rang. After answering it I looked down and saw a tail hanging from Maggies' mouth. I dropped the phone and pried open her mouth. A tiny mouse hopped out and ran about 2 feet before our puggle Yogi swooped in and grabbed it. The poor mouse was dead when I got it away from Yogi but at least it wasn't eaten.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Wow, my person is going to watch out for the mice...! what stories here.

Today, i tried to catch a bee crawling on the ground, but my person wouldn't let me :( she said that i might have gotten stung by a bee a week ago when i was walking on the grass and i suddenly stopped. then limped a little and gnawwed on my foot for a half hour. then it all went away and i was fine. hmmm. bees. still don't really know what they are and i'm curious.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The first month I got Carlos was crazy, he would roll over and try to eat cat poops every time I walked him or ate garbage from the street. Embarrassing moments!
Now I find my hand-eye coordination has improved drastically ever since. I swear can locate the smallest garbage, rocks, cat poops within 3 meters radius
I guess practice makes perfect :D

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Toughy was the exterminator of the house but he did not eat them he was always disapointed after the death shake his toy stoped working.

He did have help in in mousing escapades my sisters cat practiced catch and release bringing them in for outside and releasing them for toughy to chase down eventual

·
Registered
86 Posts
Haven't had that issue with Molly yet. But we had a beagle who caught her fair share of mice. A few I got away from her, but a couple I would find half eaten in the back yard. Still don't know if it was her or the cats that ate them. Ick! :p

·
Registered
437 Posts
Woody killed a field mouse several weeks ago but luckily didn't eat it...i think he thought like Toughy, my squeek toy stopped working...:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
YIKES! Bernie hasn't encountered mice or cat poop yet. THANKFULLY!! He does like to eat bugs, beetles and moths though. ewww! He's probably really tired of me digging in his mouth to see what he's chewing on because he's always picking up something, but after the ibuprofen scare i'm just a bit paranoid. I don't know how they find stuff! The last "freak out" moment was a piece of glass! geez those kids!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts