Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Mr. Peabody is getting on in years-12-14? He has always negotiated the back steps to get to his lot but now can only go down-and with difficulty. He can stay in his lot or the basement until I get home from work but doesn't much care for it. This past week he either couldn't do the steps or didn't try & peed in the house. Luckily I have old hardwood floors & they clean up easily but I'm wondering if there is another solution. I get up to let him out the front door (no steps) at least once a nite but I'm getting on in years as well and don't go back to sleep as easily as Mr. Pea. Any help out there? I had him to the vet but the pain meds didn't seem to help.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
you can do the same for him the do for the handicapes and either buy or make a ramp if using a ramp to be a genetal enough slope it need to be twice as long as the stair case.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I second the ramp suggestion, I have a ramp for the older dogs to get on the bed and a portable one I got so Ginger could get into the van. I only have a single low step out of the house so that is not an issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
My steps are quite steep & there is no room to extend a ramp due to a wall. Has anyone had luck with Glucosamine Chondroiton (sp?)? I've ordered a sling (or whatever you call it) to help lift him on to my bed & into the car etc. He has always had steps to get on the bed but even 3 steps are too much for him now-Bless his little hound heart. Anyhoo thanks for the suggestions.
Susan

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
My steps are quite steep & there is no room to extend a ramp due to a wall
A lift (aka wheel chair lift) is an alternitive bot not a cheap one

as For glucosomine, chondrotin or other nuetricuetical to work you would first wold have to know the problem is related to joint pain which is not clear at this point. it could be reated to muscle weakness or nerve damage from incrimental intervertibrate disk disease wich is all to common in older dwarf breed which is not realted to pain at all.

Next even assuming that it is joint pain newwer studies on these ingrediens by NIH label them as ineffective ecept possibly but not confinfirmed effect on moderate to sever pain over placebo. In the world of animal nueticutical the onluy one proven effect is cosequin however one must remember the studies on cosequin were funded by the company so there is some bias. The bottom line is the effectiveness of these substance are very much in doubt however there is very little risk to there use. That said if pain is the problem you are likely better off with one of the newer coxx-2 inhibiters for dog like deramaxx ,celecoxib,Rimadyl®,Metacam® which cause fewer gastrointestinal problem with long term use than tradidional nsaids in dogs.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I bought this at dr. foster & Smith. Thought it was way too expensive but it's lightweight and can go in different figurations. It's held up nicely....looks like it could use a good cleaning though. Because it's so light, you can move it whereever needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
wow, that is nice, Barney!

I get glucosamine & chondroitin daily (comes in a pill w/other stuff)... mainly for prevention i guess. may not help at all. but it's beef flavored so it is yum.
--Worm

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. My vet just said back problems-sorta vague, isn't it. He "goosesteps" his back legs-you know, kicks them out in front of him. Then sometimes he falls over when he cocks his leg to pee. He still manages the 3 small steps to my bed IF I'm not there to lift him up, but the back steps are a regular 13 step, steep, staircase leading to the basement and dog lot.

Re: pain, he doesn't seem to be in pain & I tried the Rimadyl for a couple of weeks without seeing any difference. I just thought the Glucosamine might help with stiffness-which he exhibits when he first gets up from sleeping.

Love the portable ramp & may show it to my brother for his 2 bassets. However it wouldn't hardly go up the long stairs.

I appreciate everyones input. For now I'll just do the best I can. On weekends it's no problem as I can take him out the front door. It's during the week while I'm at work he has issues. I don't mind cleaning up after him & since I'm not a picky housekeeper & live alone (except for my furbabies) it's not a big deal. My large shepherd mix, Molly waits all day but Mr. Peabody must have a bladder the size of a peanut! Thanks again for your info & concern.
Susan

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
would this be a good occasion for the artificial grass option if there isnt room for a ramp and Mr Peabody needs to...Pee?
This is definitely a possibility. I had an artifical grass indoor potty for Ginger - as she and Lucy got older they had difficulty holding all day. The other dogs liked to use it too. I'm thinking about setting up something more heavy-duty as Gabby (13) also seems to be having problems. The commercial one is kinda small, though.

·
Registered
697 Posts
i remember seeing an AKC approved one that looked a good size but i cannot recall where. Would a large tray with turf work? That could be cheaper and made to measure?

·
Registered
209 Posts
would this be a good occasion for the artificial grass option if there isnt room for a ramp and Mr Peabody needs to...Pee?
Yes, I think they are called Pee Patches or something like that........is coming home on lunch hour out of the question? My Bentley had me up every night his last couple years......I feel your pain (yawn) I got used to it though and would go back to sleep in no time :)

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Wow Mr. Peabody – congratulations on getting up there in years. I’m sorry to hear your having some problems though – is there anyone that can make you a custom ramp? I think it would be much cheaper as they can be costly I know.

Also, I’ve always wondered about the potty grass for using indoors – I think it might work for Rickie our male pup – but Lucy not so much as when she goes out to the back more times than not – she just needs to put her front paws on the grass and will squat and go potty on the patio. As she’s now 12 herself, it’s something I’m always on the lookout for incase we have a problem with her, I like to be prepared opposed to running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

I hope you find a remedy for you both so you can get back to a full nights sleep…

Jen~

·
Registered
209 Posts
Another thought for Mr P.......you mentioned taking him to the vet, was curious if they did labwork or a urinalysis on him. Sometimes peeing in unlikely spots can indicate a medical issue. My Annie is still on antibiotics for a bladder infection now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Everybody,
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I was thinking of the artificial grass thingy but for now I just bought some "puppy training pads"-like "chucks" used in nursing homes. He had a really good weekend as we had wonderful weather & spent a great deal of time outdoors.

The vet did not do a urinalysis but that's a good idea. We did do the usual ear swab & are still fighting a yeast infection. Seems like ya get one ear clear & the other one gets bad-part of being a basset owner!

I have also considered running home on my lunch hour. My supervisor is a dog nut too-she has a St Bernard-so that might be an option although I live 15 miles from work. My Uncle lives close by & he helps out when he can but has lots of other obligations so isn't able to do it daily.

Just being able to share Mr. Pea's issues has helped a great deal. If the puppy pads work I'll let you know. I had forgotten about them but used them once before when fostering a basset that couldn't do steps.

Thanks again & even though I haven't commented I love seeing everyone's beautiful hounds. I have to be careful as I'm at work-shhh. My home computer has issues at the moment.
Susan

·
Registered
471 Posts
When my Chloe reached 15 she too wouldnt climb the two patio stairs to go outside. I tried the whole ramp thing but she was not interested it it at all. Because our setps were wide enough, my husband added 2 extra layers of landscape stone to effectively make 4 shorter steps that she would climb with ease. Eventually, this came too much for her over her last few weeks and we made up a piddle pad area, right next to the patio door. It broke her heart at first to use it, but she got used to it in a few days.

She took Rimadyl for her arthritis, and at first it did wonders for her, however as time progressed it had less of an effect. She absolutely loved puppy massages though.

Its been 13 months since she left this world, I still get an extra biscuit of of the jar for her and some days hear her bark and bray!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
eclairs mom,
Thanks, Mr. Peabody has avoided using the "chucks" so far but I'm planning to get a grassy type "pee patch" this weekend. I don't know if he will use it or not but we'll give it a try. Right now he is very ill. I noticed Mon am his breathing was different & took him to the vet. He has pneumonia! He is on some heavy duty antibiotics & seems to be doing a little better but is still very lethargic. I hate having to leave him to come to work but it's the only way to pay the vet bills! I am going to read the thread re: pet insurance & see what that entails.
Susan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh-I forgot to say how sorry I am for your loss. Our hounds give us so much joy in their short lives. I know you will continue to think of Chloe & miss her always.
Susan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts