Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Samantha is 8 1/2 years old. She has diabetes and is almost blind from thie disease. She is well regulated on insulin- Happy, playful most of the time. She does not see well at all in the dark and we added a night light to the back porch last year for her to navigate for late night potty breaks. She has done well with that until recently. Lately she has been getting up at night and going to the kitchen floor near the back door to pee... she does not do this in the day. At first we thought it was the rain as she does not like to get her paws wet... but no rain the last few nights. I have been getting up with her and she will run outside, pee and run right back in... last night I was a bit slow and she peed right in the floor again- I did scold and say Samantha "no!" as I caught her in the act. Any thoughts on how I cna help her get back into a more normal pattern?

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
The dibetes could explain all as the increase thirst increases the outflow as well. It is not a matter of adjust the dogs schedule but your to accomidate the dog and avoid accidents. You may want an consult with your vet if it acceptable given her health problems to limit access to water at night to a no later than .... this may help in getting her to sleep through the night without having to get up. A doggie door can also give the dog access to the proper area to eliminate without impinging on your routine as well.

There could be other factors involved as well. SEE CDS in Dogs if any of the other symptoms fit as well.

If the peeing were occuring in places she normally slept given her age then spay incontinence would be another posibility but give what you describe that is not likely

1 - 2 of 2 Posts