Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first 1st post and I am really hopeing for guidance from bassett people. I have a almost thirteen yr old male basset. He's the only one I ever had, the dog my kids have grown up with, the dog I dreamed of as a kid. He has arthritis. He takes Glycoflex and Rimadyl twice a day. He had a really tough time last winter and we were hopeing to see him bounce back again over summer but he's still haveing a really hard time. Worse, I think. His back legs seem to fall asleep and he has poor controll over them. They shake really bad. He falls and limps a lot. He can't do very long walks at all anymore, just a few blocks. Even then he will be sore for a day or two after. Other than that he seems really happy. He loves the sun and his little Doxie brother. His vet is great and thinks it's normal progression of arthritis. BUT we don't have many bassetts where we live at all. He gets tons of attention every where he goes because he's so different. I know his lines/breeder are very good. Does anyone think we are missing anything that would be more bassett specific? I know he's old. I am really not ready to let him go but I am concerned if I will be able to admit it if/when it does become more suffering. I'd like to help him be more mobile and comfortable as long as I can! Thoughts, anyone? Thank you so much! Coopers mom

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
This is a tough one .I don't have any real suggestions to help his problems.It isn't easy to watch them grow old.When people take home one of my puppies I ask them to put the dog first in that they would not allow him/her to suffer needlessly.Putting aside their own feelings if ever the dog cannot live the quality of life it should, due to injury,old age,or disease,that they allow him to be humanely euthanized. I'm not saying your dog should be put down,you should just be aware of how much he suffers in case you need to make that decision.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Has your vet discussed putting him on prednisone? There comes a time when the comfort of the dog becomes more important than long term side effects.
A lot depends on the attitude of the dog. We used to have an elderly lab mix and an elderly afghan hound. We had to put the afghan down earlier, even though he was not in as bad a shape physically, because when his arthritis caused him to fall he became humiliated and upset. He was not happy. The goofy lab, on the other hand, took it all in stride.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
His back legs seem to fall asleep and he has poor control over them. They shake really bad
That does not sound like a leg problem but rather a back issue Depending on house layout etx mobility carts/doggy wheel chairs work well for hind end problems giving the dog back it mobility with far less pain.

·
Registered
973 Posts
That does not sound like a leg problem but rather a back issue Depending on house layout etx mobility carts/doggy wheel chairs work well for hind end problems giving the dog back it mobility with far less pain.
I saw a dog just the other day in a wheelchair. It was very cool to see him running around with it when you know normally he wouldn't be able to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses! We have a vet apt. Thursday and I will ask her about Prednazone and a cart. If prednazone could get him through at least the summer more mobile that would be wonderful! He is still quite a happy, silly boy. He doesn't complain hardly at all, but it's very hard for him to do things as often as not. I think it upsets us much more than him to see things start to fail. If it's his back, and that hasn't come up before, then I think that is different. Not that I wouldn't do a cart if I could but I don't think I could. He is very large framed for a Basset. A healthy weight for him when he still had great muscle tone was about 65lbs. He weight about 56-58 now and I fight to keep weight on. That might not sound like much but I am under 5' and have some back issues too. I don't know how we would deal with the 3 steps down to the yard off the porch. My oldest child just graduated and will be off soon. So the idea of possibly of looseing them both so close together is just extra sad. I will have the talk with the vet too, she'll let us know when she thinks it's time if we ask. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Yep. One of my puppy people has their 11 year old in a cart, and they now have ramps for the front and back steps. The weren't sure about the cart at first, but later said they were glad the got it. The dog is still quite active, even when he was new to the cart he would have taken off after squirrels if not for the leash.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You can also get slings that go under the dog's belly so you can help him get up and down steps without picking him up. It can also be used to steady him when he's walking. I've heard some people use towels. My boy Stomps had a severe back injury and I could not carry him at all. Bassets are not very portable.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Bentley had repeat episodes of back injury/hind leg weakness starting at age 6. We would on occasion use prednisone, robaxin (a muscle relaxer) and tramadol (pain med). I bought him 2 carts, one I believe was a Walkin' Wheels which self adjusted but did not work for him. Another was a custom made Eddie's Wheels, which took a few weeks to make and by the time it arrived he improved. We never really used the cart but as my vet said, some people use them periodically. A ramp sounds like it may come in handy, and I used to help my boy around by putting his raincoat on him, holding onto the back end of the coat which strapped around his belly to stabilize him and give support. Strange enough as this sounds it helped, keep your guy off of furniture and stairs as much as possible. Also, if your house is not carpeted throw rugs helped immensely for Bentley to walk inside. Slippery floors were hard for him. As long as you think your guy is comfortable and still has a quality of life hang in with him. I almost considered euthanasia a couple times when B's back got bad, but eventually he turned around and succumbed to lymphoma in the end. I wish you luck and understand it is difficult to watch them age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts