Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was wondering if there is an intro section? Anyway, I am the proud 'owner' or vice versa of a very senior basset that has been my best friend for 13 (!) years. He is my first basset. I am 57 yo and have had some sort of K9 companion for my entire live and have learned some hard lessons of living and love along with pain and responsibility of best friend with fur companionship (I detest the ownership word). Before Bogie, I had had only 'manly' dogs, you know pit bulls rottweilers and the breeds that the general public wrongly sees as 'aggressive breeds'. Then my beloved wife (deceased) talked me into acquiring a basset pup. I must say I disliked the breed. Big droopy eyes nubs for legs and not very motivated to stop a crook from breaking in! Ha ha...but now I am a basset slave, as the first vet I saw said I would morph into. Man was she ever right!

Anyway, I was wondering if someone would be so kind to direct me to where I can discuss health issues of age for this remarkable breed. It kind of terrifies me that he has two years past his normal lifespan. He is still active but has health issues, much the same as an aged man has, and just this last month has just recently had a decline in his general health. So I am worried and although I trust my vet he isn't a man of many words.

RS

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi Revblobber (love the name) I know what you mean when you say you didn't think much of bassets. I was the same. When you get one you realise that they are the most wonderful little creatures you could ever wish to share your life with.

Hopefully you'll get the help you need over on the health section. MikeyT is a font of knowledge concerning bassets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Revblobber (love the name) I know what you mean when you say you didn't think much of bassets. I was the same. When you get one you realise that they are the most wonderful little creatures you could ever wish to share your life with.

Hopefully you'll get the help you need over on the health section. MikeyT is a font of knowledge concerning bassets.
* Cof * It's Rev Slobber ha ha....thanks for the kind words. Yes mine has enriched my life by giving me many warm laughs and happiness through out the years. They are just a different kind of dog, maybe its their expressive face, or their antics, or thier shape ( I noticed that they are shaped proportionally much like an infant, short, legs long body, big head) It's just a hunch. Anyway thanks for the tips everyone!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome RS! There's very good advice on this board. I too have a 13yo basset, who (knock wood!!!) is still going strong. Based on the experiences of the people on this forum, I would think the average lifespan of a basset is more than 11 years. We've had several on here who made it to 13 and over.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I currently have three sisters who will be turning 13 in June. Two are still going strong, but one has a cardiac tumor.

I generally tell people the average is 12-13, but I've known some that lived to be 17 & 18!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was at a dog wash fundraiser last weekend and a large breed dog came in that was 18 years old! It was quite remarkable. I don't recall the breed but I think it was a boxer. Anabelle is guessed to be 9 years old but it's a crapshoot. Who knows, she could be 10+. Despite having heartworms, being shot, nearly starving, and everything else that's happened to her, she's really in good health. Amazing how resilient dogs can be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the wonderful news! Bogie has had the usual basset health problems, skin in the summer time that breaks out despite every treatment known to man and a tendency for ear and eye infections (treated with cautious use of steroids, antibiotic pastes and drops). He nearly died when he was about nine or ten from some kind of mystery infection that two vets could not ID but treated. Thinking back I now I suspect he had a combination of prostate/ urinary tract infection, including his anal glands that somehow became septic. I come very close to losing him, it was a nightmare. Then right after that he was diagnosed with Prostate cancer! However X rays and digital probing found no lumps and his prostate and while swollen the organ was bilaterally similar (I beleive thats how the vet put it, both lobes were the same size which is god news!) and blood tests were not indicative of cancer. The two vets told me they made the diagnosis primarily because he lost so much weight in a short period of time and his bladder was so unnaturally full with difficulty of urinating. It seems they made a misdiagnosis, (but he may still have a slow growing type). I maybe too hastily switched vets, however the pair of vets were already talking about putting him down etc (well when I composed myself). I now treat his swolen prostate with hormone therapy, an old but effective treatment.

Now yall' know more than you ever wanted to of bogies innards ! Ha ha (I was hoping that my experience might help someone).

As for senior bassets, I prefer them to the younger dogs. Bogie has drastically lower energy than his pup days, and he has mellowed out beautifully as a result of age. It was a blessing. Today he is a gentle 75 pound lump of love that would not bite his own fleas. But when he was very young he was a full on psycho pup from hell! (I think he was mistreated at the puppy mill, his back legs were almost paralyzed and the owner carried him to an unsuspecting me (we met them at a dairy queen). I thought he might of been brain damaged, he was that hysterical ! My hands looked hamburger from his out of control temper that escalated faster than I could react, before I knew the play had turned serious. Luckily time and love changed him. Now he is a spoon crazy mellow fellow that has a reduced energy level, but still would walk three miles a day if I could accommodate him. I have worn out two drive belts on my new riding mower walking him twice a day at least a mile each time* with him ranging out in front of me! Anyway that is material for another thread. Thanks again for the info.

* As a US army vet (101st) I have been waiting over a year for the VA to give me an operation to pull some metal out of my legs (non combat disabled) so I walk on crutches hence the riding mower thing. Oh yeah, I don't walk him in the heat of the summer day. Every since he has been a pup he can not tolerate heat, at all. I used to have a part time junk business and had an old truck with no AC, and would have to buy him a bag of ice to lie on when he rode with me, which was every day! He still loves to walk even in his old age.

RS

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Bogie sounds like a sweetheart! And you have been the best medicine for him throughout all of his trials. His crazy energy sounds alot like Annie, so it's nice to read that at some point she will calm down LOL.

P.S. Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bogie sounds like a sweetheart! And you have been the best medicine for him throughout all of his trials. His crazy energy sounds alot like Annie, so it's nice to read that at some point she will calm down LOL.

P.S. Thank you for your service.
Ha ha yes really I was so worried about him. He would begin playing, I hadn't had him long he was maybe 6 to 8 months old (I did not trust the paperwork), and he would mouth at first, but he would become more aggressive with those needle sharp puppy teeth until his barking became a kind of combination scared mean bark, his eyes would get kinda wild and I would have to stop the play and calm him.

I remember his little fat belly would flush bright red, sometimes it would take five min of stroking him to calm him. Other times I would have to put him into a cool down room while Donna cried. I felt so guilty! (knowing he was probably mistreated at the puppy mill). Over the years I have met many basset moms and dads (my guess would be over 60% of basset people I speak to) that tell me the same story. So I can say with some confidence your puppy will calm down too. The bad news? Bogie didn't really begin to mellow until about age two ha ha~ But the good news is that the really crazy stuff began to drop off immediately. Annie will be fine, and you are very welcome for the service thing, I should thank the US army and people like you who made the time served a pleasure.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Oh dear lol...Annie is 6 years old and still full, and I do mean FULL, of energy. I can't complain though, she keeps me on my toes (literally, at times).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh! Oopsie! Ha ha sorry, I thought she was younger! Well at six years old Bogie was still fully energy enabled! I was terrified one say to see him run on his 100 ft pulley and leash equipped 'run' and just before he came to the end he would jump up about three ft high (the rope had four of those black heavy duty elastic bungees two on each side to cushion the shock of running out of leash) and those cords would stretch and flip him to where when he landed he was facing the other direction and hit the ground running! He gleefully did that several times, and speeded up when he spotted me running towards him babbling 'bad dog' like an idiot! I hope you could get a visual on that bad bit of semi creative writing!

Anyway~

I was well aware of how fragile a bassets long spine is so I began keeping him in full time and walking him! ...

I was wondering, does your Annie come when she is called?

rb

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Rosie at age nine is still crazed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
RS,
it sounds like you two guys are a perfect fit...and as an American I want to thank you for serving this country.....God Bless both of you with many more wonderful, peaceful years together.....

I am a first time owner of a 4 month old Basset Hound and for me it was love at first sight....that just gets deeper everyday...he has already brought warmth and laughter to this family and look forward to many, many years with him....

Keep us posted on your and his health and love the stories..

Woody Hayes and his mom

·
Registered
73 Posts
Perfect Partnership

Bassets are good at melting the toughest of hearts and it sure sounds like your basset has done a good job of that and vica-versa!.

Lots of great info on the health section but also many people on here who either have or have been fortunate enough to have had their beloved bassets through the senior ages and through that experience have knowledge and advice on many of the health issues you mention.

:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome!!!
I also have a 13 year old named Francis and uh, can we talk about love? Sweet, funny, whip smart and ruler of his own universe.
I just bought a GREAT book which I've recommended here before is "Good Old Dog" by Nicholas Dodman and the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine. So full of information, common sense and great advice.
Can't recommend it highly enough.
Francis has also mellowed beautifully but he would still walk 10 miles if I let him. He went blind from canine glaucoma at a young age so we move slowly but he could go all day non stop. He's (fortunately) very, very healthy so I hope I have him for a few more years.
Good luck.
I've been a member of this forum since Franny was two years old and I can not say too many great things about this super group of people.
Once again, welcome!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts