Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 19, 2006 : 12:00 AM
...Described as A House of Horrors

On July 8, 2006, Safe Haven Humane Society of Midwest City, and Homeward Bound Humane Society of Durant, removed 130 dogs and puppies from an Oklahoma County residence. Owner Betty Foster, in her late 70s, produced puppies at the location for over 30 years.

Small breeds of dogs and their puppies were removed from  
filthy conditions; water was black, most of the food was moldy, and over 40 carcasses were found in bags on the property. A freshly dead puppy was being consumed by a rat.  

'Puppy mills,' are a dirty secret throughout Oklahoma, and a  
secret that is growing. As this filthy industry is regulated in other  
states, they are expanding here.

Few people know where their pet store dog came from and  
fewer know where their stolen pet may wind up. Puppy mills are a mountain of shame. When dogs no longer, 'produce a crop,' they are discarded in the growing number of dog auctions, or worse.

While the dogs were being removed on Saturday, according to  
Foster's granddaughter's comments, she herself performed caesarian deliveries by, in her own words, \"splitting them open.\"

Dogs with their midlines sutured together with fishing line  
were removed from the property. One gray Poodle that had been, 'split  
open,' was found in the trash can with her intestines out. The birthing  
area had rolls of fishing line strewn on the floor.

Foster had earlier tried to get rescue leagues to take senior dogs that no longer produced puppies, but on Saturday the dogs she  
tried to release earlier were gone; rat poison was photographed in many bowls.

The horrors continued: Upon returning to Durant with the dogs, Homeward  
Bound Shelter Manager Stacy George started the task of cleaning and  
bathing the dogs. She removed scores of ticks from the area around the eyes of one small Lhasa Apso, however, instead of getting a happy glance, the young dogs' eyes were gone.

Some dogs have large tumors on their midlines. A terrier had  
a dead mouse entwined in its' fur. Some will have to have surgery from being, \"split open,\" in butcher style caesarian surgeries.

Many of the dogs removed from Foster's residence wear tags  
from recently being sold through auctions; some may be stolen pets. A lack of serious regulation of dog auctions permits stolen pets to go  
right into the, 'puppy mill,' industry.It is time for Oklahomans to put our foot down on the  
misery.
Source

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
oh my god. :evil:

but it doesn't surprise me at all. in fact, i think i know where that puppy mill was. i remember driving in that area a few years ago and seeing a sign for basset puppies. i don't remember all the details, but i do remember looking around and every instinct in me telling me it was a puppy mill. i may have even posted here about it.

that's even worse than i could have imagined, though. :evil: :evil: :evil:

T

·
0 Posts
What a house of horrors. The question that comes to mind for me is: Will she be permanently shut down, or allowed to restart her "business?" The thing that kills me is these people are just so damned blissfully ignorant and blinded by $$ that they can't see that what they're doing hurts the animals they're doing it to. Shameful. God must be crying.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Thank you for posting to raise awareness on the puppy mill issue. I've been helping with a petition this summer with United Against Puppy Mills here in Lancaster County, Pa., to have the Bureau of Dog Law removed from the Dept. of Agriculture here in Pa. ( Dog Law would report directly to the governor and hopefully get some teeth in law enforcement for these places). I carried the petition all over with me this summer, and was surprised by the number of people who didn't know what a puppy mill is, even here in Lancaster County, where they are rampant-

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there were no demand, there would be no mills. The blame lies with the public that buys puppies from pet stores and dogs over the internet.

D

·
0 Posts
OMG! That is so horrible. :cry: We have one in our area, they have even been on the local news for their disgusting operation of their puppy mill. I would love to shut those suckrers down, but they have been sited by authorities and reported on the news. How do you get em shut down?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Originally posted by Daisy's mama
... I would love to shut those suckrers down, but they have been sited by authorities and reported on the news. How do you get em shut down?
Public awareness and public pressure.

One of the primary problems in Oklahoma is that there is (for want of a better way to put it) such an intense libertarian bent. People want little to no government involvement in anything, especially regulation of behavior. For critter stuff of any kind, this has been complicated in recent months by some monkey business by the USDA which has led to profound hardship for some very good and ethical small farmers and heritage poultry places.

However, the more the general public knows what goes on in these kinds of places, the more sentiment turns against them. Factory farming of hogs and poultry are examples --- some years ago, hog farmers had free rein here. And their practices were just as horrible as those noted in this article. A few people began piping up, though, and the media took an interest, and a number of factory farms were shut down. A similar battle is now brewing for factory farmed poultry.

The more the general public learns what really goes on, the less willing they are to allow it to happen, and the more pressure they put on state and local gov't to shut it down.

However, given the libertarian bent of this state, it's a long, tough battle.

But it works. So, you need to start talking, telling your friends and neighbors about it, seeing if you can pressure the media into getting involved.

BTW, I checked a map, and yup --- I did indeed happen on that place maybe 5 years ago. Can't remember specifics, but do remember my *puppy mill!* alarms went off.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I was literally sickened by that article, not to mention the tears I'm still shedding. That woman has one dead soul, that's all I can say.
I find myself dissing petshops frequently to my friends and I'm always surprised at how they're still being defended and frequented by people who should know better.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There's also a LOT of dog-fighting and ****-fighting that goes on in Oklahoma and people just let it. Now and again they shut something down but before you know it, another has come to take its place. We lived there for eight years and it was horrifying to read some of the stuff in the newspaper when they shut one down. As someone said, Oklahomans are very independent and don't want a lot of government intrusion and that's fine unless they're hurting someone else -- and I consider animals to be "someone" and not "someTHING."

A lot of you have mentioned how much you like PetSmart and they do have a lot of cool stuff, but haven't you noticed the puppies and kittens and birds and ferrets they have for sale? Where do you think they get those? Ours often hosts adoption events for our no-kill shelter, and I know the shelter insists people go through hoops to acquire an animal to make sure the animal's going to a good home, but does the store do that when acquiring animals or selling them to customers?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your PetsMart sells puppies and kittens? I wasn't aware there were stores in the chain doing that.

ETA, I quickly googled the subject and found this piece.

PETCO & PETSMART: Animal Welfare Advocats or Antagonists?

Over the years, the two giant retail chains have made genuine contributions to the cause of animal welfare. By refraining from the sale of dogs and cats, these chains have helped curb pet overpopulation. What's more, PETCO and PETSMART have extended an open door policy to rescue groups by allocating space in their stores for pet adoption programs and providing funding from their charitable arms to support spay/neuter programs....

Unfortunately, PETCO and PETsMART's sales policies regarding animals other than cats and dogs are far less progressive. These corporate policies have made the situation worse for exotic birds, reptiles, rabbits, and other small mammals by mass marketing them in increasing numbers. For those who are dealing with abandoned or relinquished animals of this sort — many of them originally sold through PETCO or PETsMART — the picture isn't as rosy.

T

·
0 Posts
I was just in my Petco last night. None of the ones near us (Petco or PetSmart) sell puppies or kittens. They all regularly have adoption days for area rescues. They do, however, sell the small pets, birds, fish, hamsters, etc.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Heartbreaking story :cry: ... please DO NOT support the system by buying pet store pups. As hard as it may be to avoid those puppies in the store windows, AVIOD doing business with these places. If no one supported the pet stores who sold puppies, there would be no profit in it, and puppymill 'people' (I use the term 'people' very loosely :evil: ) would find other means to make a fast buck... hopefully one not involving living things. Heartless ********!

This is exactly why many forum members are so adamant about not buying pet store puppies. Many of our members are involved in Rescue and have seen atrocities most of us hope NEVER to see in our lives. This is why they may seem harsh sometimes. They are trying to educate those of us who didn't know where those cute little pups came from. When we learn the truth we teach our children, family, and friends and the information spreads. They wnat to NEVER see these things happen to another living creature again... !!!

Terry

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
OMG. That is crazy! :shock:
Evil evil lady......I don't know what to say. I hope they put this old lady in jail for a while. I don't care that she is 70, she deserves it. :evil:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Our PetSmart very definitely sells puppies and kittens and cats, besides the ferrets and birds and guinea pigs and various reptiles. Because they do so many events with our no-kill shelter and because I often cover the no-kill shelter for the newspaper, I've been in there several times -- the last about six weeks ago -- and while they didn't have any dogs that time, they have in the past. They had at least a dozen cats of various sizes and ages this last time. I haven't been in PetCo yet; it's fairly new to the area. Considering their support of the shelter, I was unpleasantly surprised to see the situation the cats are in. They have clean cages and they have climbing things and toys and food and water, but the cages are not big enough in my opinion. They'd be big enough for kittens but there were full-grown cats in cages where if they stood up, they would be only an inch or so from the top, and the length of the cage was only about twice the cat's length, so it allowed for very little movement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts