Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
like the skinny A frame.
A-frame is not skinny it is 3 feet wide. the long skinny obstacle that in one video mariah slipped on is called a dogwalk, cositing of 3 12" x 12' planks. I have found for the bassets I have trained the two scariest obstacle to be !. tunnels and 2 the Teeter however if scare means least likely to perform than that is the pause table. because having to stop once you get your momentum up is not fun for any basset I have trained.

Training the dogwalk with Mariah ar the speeds you see in the video actual to less than 5 minute but she is an exceptional dog when it comes to agility. IMHO she is in the top (( percentile of all dogs in basic competency, motivation and ease of training when it comes to agility and that includes all breeds It is hard to believe that there is or ever will be a dog that was easier to train. I used a process called backchaining that can be effect technique in any sort of sequence training That is you train the last behavior first and keep adding behaviors onto the front end. This is general counter intuitive for humans that learn by starting with step one. but by starting with the last step the process is getting easier at the end which tends to reduce fustration levels which abosultely destroy the ability to learn. So in the case of the dog walk it was a 3 step proces with no repetions. I put her on the down ramp ran to the end reward. Moved her to the Beginning of the top plank run to the end reward. then run the whole thing reward. That was the extent of her training literally. There are probabily a few trainers more than agast at the speed and progression and lack of repetion etc but by the time she ever saw a dogwalk I Knew what she was capable of and more extensive or a more causious approach was not needed. Actual on her third of fourth full performance she fell off for which most dogs would make them more cautious the next time not her, she was back at it full speed,. Her lack of cautiosness in regard to agility I have to be concious of and giver her good approuchs to obstacles because unlike some dogs she will not do that on her own.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.