Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 week old puppy maxwell has been either play biting or teething. im not sure which one it is and each one has a different way to treat it. the problem is he's been biting not only his toys and occasionaly his tail but us as well. He doesnt bite hard but he does try and a few times he has jumped at us to bite. And when he's doing it he's not really himself he seems like he's going crazy. I feel like this is an extreme case of teething but for all i know it could be typical teething.
any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
My 15 week old puppy maxwell has been either play biting or teething. im not sure which one it is and each one has a different way to treat it

One can never actual know the cause as best it is all educated specultion and conjecture but what you do know is the behavior focus on the behavior not the cause.
If he is bite you then it must be treated as play biting Not sure where stand in training bite inhibition. but if he clearly is not biting hard then when can start to add no mouthing rules as well. see Bite Inhibition - How to Teach It and Puppy Biting - Have Patience And you will see there realy is not a difference in working on chewing inappropriate objects be it human or other regardless of the cause.

few times he has jumped at us to bite. And when he's doing it he's not really himself he seems like he's going crazy.
Actual it is likely a FAP see Oh Behave love and Mounting

That is it is likely play acting out preditory behaviors. Preditory Instincts
Biting Pant Legs & Ankles

·
Registered
186 Posts
my puppy toby is almost 5 months and he's gotten a lot better now but he had a big problem with teething and play biting. and actually last night i got in the way of him and my other dog rough housing and got bit pretty good on the thigh by accident. i just try and make sure he has all sorts of things to chew on, soft things, hard things, bones, and i found this cool toy that you stick a water bottle in and they chew on it. he loves it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts