Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,so may be a long post. We took in a 13 year old basset, had not been treated well. Claws had grown so long they pierced her feet. She is a loving dog but scared of so many different noises including normal household noises.

She has had a cough since we got her, a thick saliva. But not so bad if we
feed her little at a time. Vet says she is very healthy given her age and not any help.

The issue is that she has 'Epiodes' She can very sudenly start being wierd. She will run to a corner of the room, then another. She acts a bit drunk and unaware. She can then shake for hours. If we can pull her out of it by talking to her then she can snap out of it. This time she howled in distress, we talked her back to normal but its happening more and more. Cost me 75 quid for a vet to tell me she is fine. Clearly this is not the case. Any ideas please?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
First off, congratulations for taking in this oldie! Secondly, go for a second opinion, or switch vets entirely. Can you take a vid. of her episodes - with something like an inconclusive situation you can spend a lot of money, getting nowhere.

Some lines of Bassets (in the UK) do suffer with epilepsy but this should be able to be diagnosed properly. How can she be 'very healthy' with a cough!! Even more find another vet. Mine lived well into their 13th year, not all, but most although there have been exceptions. So she may well have a little time yet before she's at the end of her life.

If she is having epileptic seizures, be careful - once out of it, they are exactly that - out of it = they can bite. Just make sure she can't injure herself, and watch - if just to make sure she comes out of the fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we’re going back to the vets, the episodes seem to be getting more frequent. I think she knows something is wrong as she is being more clingy that normal. She still has a healthy appetite and gets excited to go on a walk so there is life in her yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Dollie Girl is going to be 17 and she also does the same thing. As long as she eats and drinks water they are okay. My Vet tells me the same thing about her age and how great she is doing. Just love them and they will live longer. I wish God would put them with us longer but in my case I am very blessed with her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts