Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have one basset (sophie) and I enjoy her so much. I have no intention whatsoever of being a breeder. Sophie is spayed and I like it like that. That said, :) I find that I am hooked on the world of bassets. I have read everything I can get my hands on (regarding basset hounds) I love to train sophie and spend time with her etc. However, I find myself very interested in the life of a breeder. I'm wondering if there is some time of "volunteer" helper program for breeders of bassets in my neck of the woods---NH.?
Again, I don't think I would ever have what it takes financially, time wise etc... right now in my life to take on the role of breeder full time. I have 2 young children and one has a disablitly etc... but like I said, I would (for my own knowledge and enjoyment) be very interested in observing, helping, talking to or with a reputable breeder. If anyone has any info that may guide me toward this goal, I'd really appreciate that assistance.

Thanks

A

·
0 Posts
I don't know exactly what you are looking for Karee other than maybe being around people who love Bassets. The Pilgrim Basset Hound Club is a New England based club and welcomes pet owners as well as breeders. Also, the rescues in the New England area do run fun events which would get you a Basset fix too. Sometimes just talking with other Basset owners gets you more information than you ever thought you'd learn. Both these organizations will be running events in the spring and summer. Pilgrim has a fun field trial the Sunday after Thanksgiving in Massachusetts and all Bassets and their people are welcome.

Breeding is a lot of work and I'm glad you realize that right now with young children it would be a hard thing to do. It takes a lot of dedication and yes money to produce a litter of healthy,well put together, and good tempered puppies. Once these puppies come into the world the reputable breeder is responsible for that dog for life even after it is sold.
Are you looking for more structured infomation on the Basset? If so, joining Pilgrim may be the way to go. They do at times offer educational programs on the breed,training, health issues etc; I hope I've helped you somewhat. If you want more specific information on any of these organizations feel free to email me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
First of all, my real name is Kareen. I adopted Soph from the New England Basset Hound Rescue last Feb and have had a great time with her. It was a cool experience all the way around although It was hard at first (2-3 weeks) with Sophie but after that... I figured out how to work with her and bam! bonding happened. I appreciate your info about the Pilgrim Basset Club. I will check that out..on the internet?

As far as what I'd like to find out.... I think more in depth info on the breed specifically. I would like to talk with people that are say... more than just pet owners but rather, experts on the breed? I also think I would like to meet some basset puppies, basset mums etc... I don't want to buy a puppy or even be a breeder so I know that it sounds weird. I just have an interest I guess in seeing how it all starts ya know? I guess I'm looking for basset education :) I have read the books, seen the videos (or tried to) surfed the net, joined the groups etc. I was wondering if there was sort of a basset internship of sorts for people that are truly interested in the basset.

Well I have gone on and on haven't I? Sorry bout that. Any more info you may have will be great and take Care.
Kareen

A

·
0 Posts
You can find Pilgrim on the web at web page The site has not been updated for a while but hopefully it will be soon. The next event we have is in Boston at the Bay Colony cluster. Then the next fun event after that in which the dogs are involved is in May at our May match.

I've had Bassets for 30 years and have been involved in the club,rescue,showing for about 10 years and just lately breeding. I probably could answer many of your questions. Just being on this forum will give you a great amount of knowledge too.

As far as an "internship" type thing. I have no idea what to tell you on that.

Karen

[ October 31, 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Bassets3 ]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sounds like you're doing your homework. In case you haven't already read them here are some books by basset breeders. I started with the ones by Braun and Nicholas which gives info on the various basset kennels. You can sometimes find these books on ebay.

The Official Book of the Basset Hound
Robert E. Booth
The Official Book of the Basset Hound encapsulates the expertise and insight of long-time Basset fancier and judge Robert E. Booth. Illustrated with over 500 colour photographs of Bassets of the past and present. Approved by the Basset Hound Club of America.
The Basset Hound/Ps-815
by Anna Katherine Nicholas

The Basset Hound: An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet
(Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet Series)
by Barbara Wicklund

A New Owner's Guide to Basset Hounds
by Joan Urban

The New Bassett Hound
by Margaret S. Walton

Basset Hound
by Barbara Wicklund

I don't know of any basset internships. The best thing to do is get to know some basset breeders. The basset breeders I know work full time and spend most of their weekends at dog events. Like Karen said, the Pilgrim basset hound club is a good place to start. I'd also suggest attending all the area dogs shows. If you want to get to know some breeders you've got to go where they go. Once you get to know them and vice versa, maybe you can work something out.

By the way there's only a hand-full of active basset breeders in New England.

Hope to see you at some basset functions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barbara & Karen,
Thanks so much for the information. Now, I just need to figure out who the breeders are (in NH) and where and when the shows are. The books are a great idea too. I have read some of them yet I think 1 or 2 I haven't so that will be a start. I already checked out PBHC and received an email from them. So, now I wait. Is there a place I can see a list of breeders in NH? Certainly someone must know :)

Off subject for a minute...re: training bassets..
Why does the poor basset get so much negative press about training? Sophie does great. Sure, she's stubborn about repeating a command but she is no slouch. Also, I was reading on a website (I'll have to look it up) where a dog trainer said that bassets were engineered dogs and that they aren't even real dogs and he feels bad for them! I couldn't believe it. Do bassets have a bad rap or something? My basset is awesome and not plagued by medical issues or whatnot. Well, to each his own I guess but I was shocked.

Okay, venting over.. thanks again for your information. It's very helpful and will help me on my journey of educating myself.

Thanks again!
Kareen

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
"Do bassets have a bad rap or something?"

Bassets were bred to think independently i.e. (think for themselves). When hunting this is a very important trait because if the hunter has to tell the dog what to do is their any reason to use a dog in the first place. Therefore when training of a basset the owner/trainer must have a compelling answer for the dog when it asks the question "WHY" Most trainer of the so called "smart" dogs are ill prepared and equipped to answer such questions and therefore blame the dog for poor results rather than themselves. This is not just true for basset but many other breeds that are labeled stupid or hard to train.
See Hard to Train

Many people have a built in prejudice about basset hounds, partly because of their portrayal in movies and TV and partly because how the look. They are classic dwarfs. That said many breeds that one would not necessarily consider as dwarfs have many of the same typical bone conditions that are attributed to dwarfism, miniature poodles and beagles to name just two. Basset are typically characterized as clumsy dim witted, slow and lazy. However in all three major Agility organizations there are basset competing successfully at the highest levels.

"where a dog trainer said that bassets were engineered dogs" . Hmmp I guess that dog trainer is just plain ignorant on dogs. All pure bred dogs are "engineered" from dog trainers beloved "labs" "Goldens" and "BC's" to the lowly basset hound. They are all selectively bred for specific traits that enhance the ability of the dog to perform certain and specific jobs, that for which the dog was bred.

The Pilgrims Fun Field Trial is held 11/30/2003 on the grounds of the Paskamansett Beagle Club on Lucy Little road, North Dartmouth, MA if memory serves me correctly starting time is around 9:00 am

You may want to browse Claudia Orlandi's website Topsfield Bassets Essex Junction, VT . Claudia is the chair of the BHCA Members Education Committee.
She has some interesting articles
Breeder’s Toolbox Library
Pediscore Tool Kit System

1 - 7 of 7 Posts