Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pearl got her third leg on her Open title yesterday at the Basset Specialty, and AKC soon willing, her CDX title. :) I'm so proud of her and her retrieves--this one was especially praiseworthy, since I threw the dumbbell so far it was practically jammed into the ring gate against a white wall, but she pulled it out!
:roll:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Congratulations Sue. My heart would have been in my mouth but Pearl knew what she was suppose to do inspite of the unexpected. I'd be afraid that my dog wouldn't release it after going to all that trouble:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barbara,
Thanks for the congrats! Actually, I should have said pulled it 'off', not pulled it 'out'. The dumbbell was almost out of the ring but it wasn't really stuck (seem to have lost the editing icon somewhere). My heart WAS in my mouth the entire time we were in the ring, not just at that moment.
:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well done! Congrats Sharon and Pearl!

Alice :D

A

·
0 Posts
Congratulations Sharon! Having gotten one CDX on a Basset and being zero for 20 in qualifying scores on my current Basset I know both ends of the Open spectrum! Is it your first? The first is so special!! Wait, how would I know? I don't have a 2nd!! Belinda.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot , Belinda. Pearl is the first basset I've ever trained--actually, she's the only *dog* I've ever trained to do anything other than shake hands :) . She's my 6th basset, though.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Congratulations to Sharon and Pearl! I was able to see Pearl's qualifying run, and it was pleasure to watch this team in action. :) The conditions were some of the most challenging (to put it politely :D

[ June 21, 2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Betsy,
"She'll have her UD before Buffet" . Not hardly :)

G

·
0 Posts
Earlier, Sharon wrote:
Check with us in a couple of years about her first trial!
1st, congratulations on Pearl's CDX.

2nd The best way to get started on the UD is to go shoppping! Yep, you need to treat yourself to a brand new set of articles (or 2 or 3), a new, custom article bag (Clouds and Company's are really nice) and maybe even a new set of jumps. . .or at least a 2nd pair of bar and high jumps. You'll also need a new leash. Since leashes aren't allowed in the Utility ring, I don't know why this works, but you can't possibly train signals without a new, 4ft, butter-soft leather leash(g).

Happy training (and shopping).

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I *did* buy myself a rather snazzy vest with bassets outlined in rhinestones and brass beads at the show. It will look very cool as I flail my arms around, giving signals like mad. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts