Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
That was very cool. I'm worried that this what will happen with our two but we shall see when we get there. Just on hold for a bit.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I dunno. I can usually get Rosco and Layla to fly out the door if I tell them there are bunnies in the yard. The yard is fenced in but the rabbits can escape in two places. If it weren't fenced in and they saw a rabbit I would probably never see my dogs again.

Also, that guy should have gotten a rabbit skin from a leather shop. I bought one for some research and Rosco almost knocked me over to get it.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Peter FWIW if you are interested after lollipop Fully recovers the Sunday following Thanksgiving Pilgrim Basset hound Club has a Fun Field Trial at Paskamanskett Beagle Clubt Beagle club off Little sally Rd in Dartmouth MA.

Annual Fun Field Trial

They have used in the past both in the larger field which result is more running time and little to no rabbits run, or in the moderately sized starter pen which means shorter run time for each dog, less dogs at one time but almost guarantee a hare will be run. both are fully enclosed, fenced

If it weren't fenced in and they saw a rabbit I would probably never see my dogs again.
Given that the average cottontail runs A circular path they are actual likely to end up where they started or not far from it.

IMHO it is easiet to get the nosed engaged to track and find rabbit once the dog has been involved in a sight chase. It is hard for the dog to equite the scent of the rabbbit with a chase if they have never done so, That said Macey learned by watching other dogs. She is an exceptional visual learn but I don't thing she really comprehended why she was wandering round the woods with her nose done, until she was engage in a sight chase.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
What fun! I'm not aware of any similar events in our neck of the woods... but Jake dearly loves to chase rabbits- just don't know what he would do if he ever caught one. He bolted from the house once after a silly bunny dared cross the yard- had to get the truck to catch him... the truck = McDonalds so the best way to get catch him! Oddly... all the bunnies and squirrels in our neighborhood but none ever go into our fenced yard

·
Registered
782 Posts
Perfect, absolutely true. Boy, I had a good laugh while watching this on break from work!! Bassets truly are a breed apart, aren't they?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for finding and sharing the video

I had heard about an expected NY TIMES piece being released and searched for it last week but came up empty handed! Thanks so much for sharing. I recognized a few people in the video but sorry gang, the hounds are the real stars!

I can attest that if you really want to have a blast with your hound, participate in a field trial, AKC or AHBA, fun trial or the real thing! Your hound will love it and so will you!

Tally-Ho!

·
Registered
173 Posts
What a fantastic video! I really enjoyed watching the hounds with noses to the ground. I'm not sure my dear Chloe would have known what scent to follow, unless the bunny was rubbed with a hot dog first!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That was great! I think my 2 would be able to track a bunny. Here at home they go after bunnies, cats, and squirrels.

~Heather

1 - 10 of 10 Posts