Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top of Duke's nose, or snout, is swollen today, almost looks like a broken nose. It doesn't hurt when I touch it, but it's fairly hard. What on earth is it?

I think we will be going to the vet again to day. He is still wheezing, sounds so bad, hate to see him go through this. Sounds like it's coming from his lungs. He's pretty lethargic, but always gets up to follow me. :( I can't believe this is happening, he's only seven. I'm starting to feel panicky...

Sandy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Need to see the vet. My guess from the symptoms is perhaps some allergic reaction to something. But I'm no vet, and if his breathing is wheezy, I'm afraid it's get out the Mastercard time....

A

·
0 Posts
Sandy - have faith and the power of positive thinking. Perhaps the nose is a result of the prolonged medication or as Piedmont said, an allergic reaction (altho if he's been on the med for awhile it's interesting that he'd react now). I know what you must be feeling and can certainly sympathize - they are our babies as much as our children are.

There are so many people here pulling for you and Duke so take solice that we're all here for you & Duke.

(((((Duke & Sandy)))))

Lynne

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yep, time for the vetperson.

IN the meantime we will continue slinging drool. Hope you have answers very soon.!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Could it be spider bite?
I remember my friend told me that her dog's nose swollen after a spider bit him.

A trip to the vet is a really good idea.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I can't think of why the steroid would cause the nose to swell... maybe a bug bite did that and totally unrealted to the other. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. I know how fearful your heart must be feeling. Hopefully the vet will have some answers and a good plan of action- Sending prayers and drool- Wendy

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's unlikely that it's a bite. It's too cold up here for bugs, spiders, etc, in the winter. It's still there, doesn't seem to bother him.
The wheezing has subsided for now, sure it will flare up next trip outside, tho.
I didn't want to take him in today, and get him upset and wheezing again. He is terrified of the vets office, hyperventilates everytime we go. so I phoned them.
The vet said to keep him on the meds, give them time to work and bring him in on Monday, for an x ray. wish this would just go away...(sigh)

Sandy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts