Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They sure are when it serves their purpose. Neither pup is tall enough to get up on the furniture yet, but we don't mind. In the front room we have an older couch, they seem to want to get up there whenever one of us sat there so I built a little carpeted step. It wasn't quite high enough so I put a couple of phone books under one end and made it a ramp.

Tried for days to have them walk up the ramp when I sit on the couch. They just didn't seem to be getting the hang of it. They would go partway up, they try to go across to the center of the couch before their rear end was up, and they would fall off.

I wasn't too worried about it, figured they would get the hang of it or would get big enough they didn't need it eventually. So yesterday I'm sitting at the computer in the front room. couch is behind me and I hear one of them whining. I turn around and Mercedes is on the couch and Zatarra is whining at her. Ah, she figured it out. I show him again and they both take a nap on the couch.

When I go to leave for work, I work afternoons, I gate them in the hallway to the two front bedrooms and guest bath. I open the bathroom door and put papers down in there. We also put them in the hall at night. They very seldom use the papers anymore. So off to work I go. Mary is a school teacher and gets home about 2 hours after I leave. I called home later to see how things were going and she informed me they had knocked down the gate and were running laps in the house when she got home.

I figured they were playing and had rolled into the gate and knocked it down. It is an old gate and not all that good, and they are both almost 20lbs, so didn't surprise me. Need to buy a better gate.

Today I went out to the pet store and get to get a new gate, planned to take the pups. But when I got ready to leave they had both found their way up the ramp and were sleeping on the front couch. Well no sense waking them, I put the gate back up, tightened it a little better and put them in the hallway. I'm not going to be gone that long, and they were sleeping anyway.

An hour later I get home, the gate is down, and both are back sleeping on the front couch. I'm betting I wasn't out of the driveway before they knocked the gate down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not smart ? HaHa

I have a female 5 month old. Bella has lived with us now for about a month and a have. She is pretty much potty trained ( except when very excited or pissy) pls she gives high fives for a treat. and believe me after the trick she demands a treat. she also sits, stay's and lies down. But and thats big But! She only Comes when she feels like it.
She loves to play fetch with all her stuff. She does good bringing it back till shes done then she just leaves it.
I think Bella is to smart for MY own good.

·
Registered
297 Posts
They actually are a very intelligent breed (especially with the females it seems) our boy unfortunately has moments of brilliance and then others when he can't find his way out the door. They have the ability to learn many things given the proper motivation. The trick is just learning what works for each hound... each one is a little different... Luckily I have one who is so food motivated she will do anything I ask as long as there is a treat involved. The other... well he's pretty motivated just by praise but doesn't always retain a whole lot. Oh well, we love them both anyway. LOL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our male seems smarter than the female, but he is also slightly hyper-active, so often (and you can see it coming) he doesn't think before doing something stupid. Like when they are both on the front couch and decide to play, he will get excited and dive on her head and wrestle. Last night her head was hanging off the couch, but he still tried it. The fact her head was over air not couch was lost to him in his excitement right up until he hit the floor. He came back up the ramp and bite her in the butt.

As far as minding, they both mind very well if I have a treat in my hand. If I don't have a treat, sit is still no problem, as they both are so relaxed (except when playing) it is hard to get them to stand. He comes when called, she makes it eventually, but only if I am persistent. Stay, not without a treat. lay down, see sit!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
LOL! i love these stories! toby is really motivated by treats, and he's very smart, just stubborn like a lot of our babies are. when he was little he found something interesting behind our dryer. i forgot what me and my fiance were doing but we came back and heard some muffled cries. we finally found him wedged between the wall and dryer. he had gotten so stuck we actually had to move the dryer to free him. IDIOT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Clara, my sweet basset; Sullivan the Great, my great dane; and Sadie Lou, my lab and whatever is big mix. Out of all of them , I have to say that Clara is the smartest. As loving and caring as Sullivan the Great is, he is one big dummie and is petrified of everything. Clara on the other hand, is pretty darn intelligent and rules the roost!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts