Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Guys!
Franny is currently in the hospital with some serious problems with his glaucoma. The IV mannitol has stopped working and I'm pretty sure we'll be removing his right eye. His blood pressures are starting to elevate and he had a few problems maintaining them after being on the mannitol so there's some new thinking to be done.
Pray for us and we'll keep you posted.
Thanks,
Bevy and Franny

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'm so sorry you and Francis are having to go through all this. :(

I'm glad, though, you're taking such good care of him. If I'm remembering correctly (which is always debatable :roll: ), the glaucoma can be so, so painful for these guys, but the pain is relieved upon removal and the pups adapt.

Still, what a hard, hard thing for both of you. I'll be sending all my good thoughts and prayers your way.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
So sorry to hear that Francis' glaucoma is rearing its ugly head again. You are a great mom to him and I hate to see you both going thru such pain. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Gosh how I wish breeders would have their dogs screened. :mad:

[ August 15, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hang in there. Glaucoma is so hard--I've heard that the guys adapt very well, though, once the problem eye(s) are taken care of.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that things have taken a turn for the worse. Francis is lucky to have you- you are in my thoughts.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You and your dear one are in my prayers, and Max sends lots of drool.

Max's daddy

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Sorry to hear about Frannie. He'll feel better without the eye, if it comes to that. Let us know how things are going.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear the news, my boys send healing drool your way!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. They really have helped because I know that all you people are as nuts as I am (about your dogs, too :p )
Tomorrow morning Fran's right eye will be enucleated (removed) and a prosthesis placed. All I care about in the entire world is relieving my little baby guy's pain.
I'm afraid to visit him in the hospital for fear of upsetting him. (Me, too...I've been crying like a weenie since he was admitted on Saturday morning.)
Once, again, Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
It's so hard when they're sick. :(

But he really will feel so, so, so much better once the eye is removed. I am just so sorry you all are having to go through this.

Keep us posted and many, many good thoughts and prayers from here.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, it's funny. Once the decision was made to remove his eye and I slept on it I feel much better myself.
As you know, Fran and I have a "domestic partnership" ;) (I'd better be careful, we live in Massachusetts and that'll be legalized next!) I live alone and most of my local friends are not as dog crazy as I am or they've got real human families so while they're truly warm and sympathetic I know that they're also rolling their eyes :cool:

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oh dear, are we going to be reading about you and Francis next in the headlines? ;)

When Biscuit was sick and I was caring for him 24/7, wrecking my health and finances in the process, several hardboiled characters dropped by to let me know they'd do the same thing.

In any case, keep us posted and hope it goes well.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm so sorry you and Francis have had to go through this. And I certainly understand your upset. When Matilda was at Tufts for three days last winter, I cried non-stop -- even sitting at my desk in the office! Luckily, it was winter break and absolutely no one else was around (not that that would have stopped the tears). I live with a husband and four almost-adult kids, all of whom think I'm nuts because I basically arrange my life around the dogs. I think of Charlie and Matilda as having two more kids in the house -- but they will never mature beyond toddler-hood :D !

I hope Francis comes through his surgery with flying colors and that his new, pain-free life with you continues to be long and loving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts