Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for Basset's having a warm dry nose at times?? I have heard that this means they have a fever. Chloe has been a little punky the last couple of days.... but there are also times she is full of p*** and vinegar so I am wondering if she is feeling under the weather or if it is just something that is normal. Her nose seems to go from cold and wet to warm and dry.

She went to the vet this past saturday to see if her anal gland infection was cleared up and it is so I hope nothing else is going on.........Poor little punkin......

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
the cold wet dogs nose is a sign of health and everything else is a sign of illness is a myth

Dog Noses – facts and myths
Does a dry nose mean a dog is sick?
This is a common misconception. An active, sniffing dog will often have a cool, wet nose, but a dry nose does not necessarily mean the dog is unwell. A feverish, lethargic dog might have a hot, dry, nose, but so might a perfectly healthy dog. A sick dog will usually have other symptoms. For example, a dog with a respiratory illness might have a very wet nose, but it might be runnier than usual, with thick or crusty discharge
9 of the Biggest Dog Myths
This one is probably the biggest dog health myth around. Somewhere along the line, people came to the conclusion that a cold, wet nose is a sign of a healthy dog and a warm or dry nose is a sign of illness
...The temperature and moisture of your dog's nose are not miracle measurements of his health. For instance, a dog's nose is often dry and/or warm if he has just woken up, and this is perfectly normal. However, a nose that is persistently dry and crusted might be a sign of a health problem. If you notice an abnormal appearance to your dog's nose or any other signs of illness, contact your vet right away.[/quote]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nothing to worry it is normal for dogs sometimes dogs nose get dry but it is not serious, I have two dogs and they also suffered from this problem then my friend suggest me Dry Dog Nose Balm from puppington. This balm is very effective you can try this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is it normal for Basset's having a warm dry nose at times?? I have heard that this means they have a fever. Chloe has been a little punky the last couple of days.... but there are also times she is full of p*** and vinegar so I am wondering if she is feeling under the weather or if it is just something that is normal. Her nose seems to go from cold and wet to warm and dry.

She went to the vet this past saturday to see if her anal gland infection was cleared up and it is so I hope nothing else is going on.........Poor little punkin......
They can be much like people in that when an infection is present or they are fighting one off ..much like a person there head (not just isolated areas like nose) but head and body even can be hot to touch also with infection usualy signs of swelling.Im no expert but I would say that it can be sometimes central heating can alter the nose not always being cold and wet..and also it could be the food ie a lot of dog food now is pretty appalling even though they market it to be made of gold lol..a lot of it hasn't got everything they need so can present in your dog as generally under the weather..you could try adding substitute to the meal there are info on that on thus forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts