Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BHCA versatility committee would like to add nose work to the versatility program but has not received approval from the board. Please let me know if any of you have been working your dogs in nose work. I'd like to have an interest report ready for the St. Louis Nationals. Thanks! Gonie (Freda)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I took a 6 week introduction course in Nose Work last October with Otto. It was interesting to see him work, but he was just over a year old and still pretty rambunctious. His attention span wasn't as developed as the other dogs in the class- he would do one or two turns and then go to the gate and ask to go home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you to murraysmom for the response. Are you a BHCA member and do you know of other basset owners who have tried nose work? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Thank you to murraysmom for the response. Are you a BHCA member and do you know of other basset owners who have tried nose work? Thanks!
http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/46466-ottos-k9-nose-work-class.html

Above is a link to my thread from when Otto was taking the classs- Monica J, from Providence R.I., responded on that thread that she was involved in Nose Work- if you go to the thread and click on her name, you'll be able to Private Message her-

No, I'm not a member of BHCA. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi there! Yes Gordon was very involved in nosework for about 1 year. He passed his first odor recognition test with flying colors and we really enjoyed it but unfortunately had to stop because of Gordon's health issues. Nosework is very based on food rewards and Gordon has IBD and can't really eat any "high-value" treats.

I am not a member of BHCA but we were members of the NACSW. At the time (last year) there were very few basset hounds or even hounds in general participating in nosework. Almost all of the dogs were herding dogs that sort of transferred over from agility. We only learned about it because Gordon was going to puppy training classes at a school that was offering nosework. Our instructor was fascinated by the way Gordon worked because she wasn't used to a scent hound.

I think it is an amazing sport and I wish the hounds would make more of an appearance since it is what they were made to do!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts