Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious how long everyone's houndie's ears are. Lucy is 6 months and her ears are 6 1/2 inches each. That seems kind of short when looking at various pics. Is that about normal? Ethel has Lab ears because of her mix. A Basset body and a Lab head and ears.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ruby is afraid of the tape measure but I'll try to get her daddy to hold her and I'll measure them either tonight or tomorrow night.

Ruby used to carry her ears around in her mouth sucking on them when she was a puppy (like sucking her thumb and carrying a blankie?).

She used to step on them and trip but now she just steps on them and doesn't trip.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Molly's ears are almost 11". Her father is an AKC breed champion, so she's pretty typical of the standard. Albeit pet, not show, quality. Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oliver's are 9" He is a rescue so don't know his background. Edited to say he is approx 6 years old.

[ January 26, 2006, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Oliver Twist ]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gordons are 11" he won the longest ears competition at the park by half an inch! the other basset was pretty beefy too. that was at 8months i think

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is from the Basset Hound Breed Standard on the AKC site.
"The ears are extremely long, low set, and when drawn forward, fold well over the end of the nose. They are velvety in texture, hanging in loose folds with the ends curling slightly inward. They are set far back on the head at the base of the skull and, in repose, appear to be set on the neck. A high set or flat ear is a serious fault."
Bubba was sold for "Pet Quality" because his ears were set a little to far forward on his head. They just barely overlapped at the end of his nose. Both of his parents were show champions.

Just curious where is your starting and ending point when you measure their ears??

[ January 26, 2006, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: BubbaLeroy ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Lucy's are like Diggers ears, they go to the end of her nose and just a tiny bit father. She is a full Basset but I think she didn't get the "Show Hound" ears. That's OK...we still love her short ears and all :) Ethel has Lab ears so thay are pretty short too.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I wrap Molly's ears around her nose they go all the way around and past her nose about an inch or so. And about "holy cow", yes, she does look like a Holstein! Love her to pieces!! Belinda.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts