Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Noonie and Penny in for their shots last week and the vet informed me that Penny is fat. It really wasn't any surprise to me, but I don't think Penny knows. :rolleyes: In an attempt to try something different we decided to try her on the treadmill. She didn't care for that at all. We were able to coax her on and she'd walk a bit and just stop. Noonie was watching and we decided to give him a try, thinking if she saw he was doing it she wouldn't be so skittish. Noonie got on and didn't even try to walk one bit. Instead he rode the belt to the end and got off. Then he got back on and did the same thing at least ten times. Long story short, Noonie seemed to enjoy his ride and Penny didn't take to it at all. So needless to say, we're getting our exercise the old fashioned way--walking with the boys and running with Penny. Hopefully before long we'll see some results.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What a funny story!!!! I can imagine a Basset on a treadmill!! Are you over feeding them?? If you can try to reduce their portions by a bit and supplement with fresh green beans instead. R & S's Vet told me to try that with Rusty. He is not overweight at 49 pounds but was always starving. To the point, I felt really bad. She said for a lunch time snack to give him some fresh green beans along with some carrot. Affordable treat, low calorie and nutrious. The crunching alone seems to satisfy him and fill his belly. I don't add these veggies to his food because I don't want him to associate this with his kibble and not eat if the goodies aren't in the bowl.

I give them separately at lunch time. Stickers gets pumpkin and carrot. Here's Rusty enjoying his lunch!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weight problem with Penny is more due to lack of activity while I was gone. We've cut back on the food and go out almost every night for a run. She really likes carrots a lot, so she gets several a day instead of the usual biscuit. Buddy has a little bit of weight to lose too, but according to the vet he has issues with his thyroid and is taking medicine twice a day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts