Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working in a clinic today when I chanced upon a most interesting conversation. These two ladies were old co- workers of mine. They moved here from Columbia and while they speak English well, sometimes it is hard to understand them. Both had bought dachsunds last summer. One of the ladies was very upset about all of the marking her pet had done on her new carpet and wanted to put him "for give away". Since I know the two parties very well I immediately chimed in on the benefits of neutering a pet-I mentioned at that young of an age getting the dogs neutered should help some with the marking. They had planned on breeding them but... well... they are both males :)

A

·
0 Posts
It is so good that you were there at the right time and place. I like the phrase noodling! Very Cute!

·
Registered
70 Posts
It sounds like a polite way to say it when the word neuter isn't appropriate, but I don't know when that would be. :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
This isn't the first time this term "noodling" has come up on Cyberhound. I don't recall in what context. Anyone remember? I do know we learned that "noodling" is the practice and sport of catfishing using only ones hands. ;)

Obviously the term has a different meaning in Columbia. How about our lingusts on the forum-you must be able to help me out here.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think in their case it's just a communication gap... I talk fast for a Texan and think they misunderstood the work neutering for noodling :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
Someone I know took her yellow lab to be "tutored" last week :) :)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
"Catfish Noodling" will be featured on the Science Channel sometime this week - I forget when. Noodling, from what I understand, is a certain way to catch, or assist in the catching of, catfish. I think it involves using fingers? When I saw the advertisement I immediately thought of Biscuit, who just may be Cyberhound's ONLY authority on this bizarre fishing technique. :D

Terry

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
As I understand the one draw back of the noodling technique is sometimes all your fingers don't come back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by Marcia:
Someone I know took her yellow lab to be \"tutored\" last week   :)      :)  
That was probably said intentionally, in reference to an old "Far Side" cartoon.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've seen that one! I knew I'd heard it before!! :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My partner's wife is Columbian and we can both understand how the "translation" could have happened.

Thanks for sharing - it gave us a needed laugh.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well, I'm an Indonesian. English is my third language.
Believe me, sometimes I do say wrong things. It could be embarassing sometimes, but I do appreciate it if someone would correct me. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts