Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave Annie (6yrs old) a "Pork skin twist with chicken liver center" yesterday while she was playing with her toys. She was chewing on her toys so I thought maybe she wanted something heartier to gnaw on for a bit. She walked around with it in her mouth like it was a cigar for a few minutes and then attempted to bury it in the corner of the couch. I've given her these before while she was playing outside and since I never saw them again I figured she ate the whole thing. Now I'm wondering if maybe they aren't buried around the backyard.

I kind of wanted her to gnaw on it for a bit to stay busy and semi-clean her teeth. What chews do your hounds enjoy? Should I try other chews? Or just shut up and be happy that she isn't a "chewer"?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Each dog is different as to what appeals to them.

I've started getting large beef bones from a local slaughterhouse (I'm talking HUGE - a box of about 12 was too heavy to lift by myself), and most of my guys will happily gnaw on them for ages. I keep an eye on them and take them away before they get small enough to swallow.

And their teeth look much better too.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I use cow hooves but they do tend to stink. I also had two that craked the rear molar and it had to be extracted which could have been related to a hoove because of there hardness but there really know way of knowing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Our dogs absolutely LOVE bully sticks (dried beef tendons). They don't smell really great but it seems the worse something smell the more they love it. They can be little expensive so they get them as a once in a while treat. We make sure to get them the actual dried tendon (some store like petsmart have a "bully stick" which are pieces of beef tendon ground up and pressed together - they don't last as long).

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ditto on the bully sticks! (I just discovered those, and didn't really know what they were... except expensive! thanks for explaining). Mine also likes beef rib bones, either from the supermarket or from the pet store. But the pet store ones tend to crumble and have sharp edges, so I take it away soon after he eats the meat off of them. And different rawhides, esp the beef basted ones (tho I know rawhide is not the best and can have problems with it...)

He's under a year, so still teething I think. Not as bad a chewer as puppies can get, but I do see him looking for things to chew at times.... and the above seem to help.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your suggestions. It seems that beef pieces are the choice chews for most hounds.

I'm a vegetarian so purchasing and watching her eat meat products is a daily chore for me LOL. But I haven't ever wanted to deprive her of something she might find tasty so I'll be checking out the beef based choices next time I'm out and about.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
When Molly was about 3 months old, my husband was on a business trip in NYC. He had dinner at a steakhouse and they sold bones for dogs there for about $5. He picked one up and brought it home...it was as big as Molly then. All she did was run around barking at it, as she didn't know what to do with it. It was quite cute! Now at 7 months old, she carries it around and spends her time chewing on it on her bed. As much as I hate the thing and am grossed out by it, I suck it up and deal with it because is makes her happy.

Otherwise, bully sticks, my old sneakers, the cat...all things she loves. I prefer things that are more natural, but she loves anything with flavor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Watson loves cow ears. They don't smell at all. We bought a box of 50 off amazon for $35 back in October and he hasn't even gone through 1/3 of them. We call them his "pacifiers," because they keep him entertained for hours!

·
Registered
8 Posts
We've been having a hard time finding a good treat for our basset. She's the same way. Our dachshund LOVES dingos but they are much to small for bassets. They've recently started making larger ones but they're a little expensive. Walmart has the best prices on them. Chiquita (my basset) has a habit of just guarding her bones though which is a pain because she doesn't let anyone near her if she's not eating it. Roxy (the dachshund) does not get treats as often because of this. I find I should even bother give her anything that requires chewing after about 7:30 as that is bedtime for her and she does not have the energy and will just guard it restlessly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts