Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum,

Our 7 month old is exhibiting the above symptoms of something wrong. I have done some searching online, but was wondering if anyone has had exactly this? Thank you

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If this was my puppy, especially as a puppy - I'd be off to any vet I could find to see him asap. I have no idea what's gong on (was he hit by anything) but we could only offer guesses in any case. Def. one for a vet. I hope he'll be ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this was my puppy, especially as a puppy - I'd be off to any vet I could find to see him asap. I have no idea what's gong on (was he hit by anything) but we could only offer guesses in any case. Def. one for a vet. I hope he'll be ok.
I called around to get a vet but for new patients there is a waiting process. My Vet ran bloodwork and found nothing out of the ordinary. The pup was a bit better this morning but then lethargic all day, sleeping, not eating. Vomited yesterday and this morning. I think I'm going to another vet for a second opinion. She wasn't hit by anything, very small tick found on her. She did have tick bites weeks ago, but we had them removed and gave her antibiotics from the vet. I am still not sure if its brain, eye, or stomach related.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, well, $3,000 and a few days have changed little. Fired the first vet because he was an anti-masker, went to an emergency clinic and they sat us in a room with others and pulled their masks down to speak to each other, so had to leave there. Got another appointment and this good vet did an x ray, declared a foreign object in her abdomen, and sent us to a pet surgery center hospital. They did an ultrasound and found no foreign object, and guessed it was gas that is bothering her stomach so much. They tested for this and that and came up with nothing. Her symptoms have changed from the vomiting and eyes problem and lethargy in the first few days to diarrea and lethargy a few days later to just lethargy now. She's on medicines, but bottom line is the present pain seems to be in her digestive tract and no one knows exactly what it is. I am guessing she ate something she should not have and its stuck, but ultrasound doesn't support that.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Got another appointment and this good vet did an x ray, declared a foreign object in her abdomen, and sent us to a pet surgery center hospital. They did an ultrasound and found no foreign object, and guessed it was gas that is bothering her stomach so much.
I'm NOT a vet but feel it may now be time to open her up? I really don't understand how x-ray showed something in the abdo. and then ultrasound didn't. Had whatever x-ray showed, moved?

Oh for a vet who is able to DIAGNOSE because as you've clearly discovered $3K later and you are no further on. Is she insured?????

ps Has any vet done a full blood workup. Has any vet considered, perhaps, liver shunt?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello forum,

Our 7 month old is exhibiting the above symptoms of something wrong. I have done some searching online, but was wondering if anyone has had exactly this? Thank you
You need an emergency vet or someplace with a vet school. I cannot believe the runaround and poor Floppy! Take all the labs, reports, X-rays you have and travel if need be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very sad news. Floopy choked and died before our eyes yesterday morning after eating her soft dog food breakfast given to us by the hospital. We had gotten her back from the hospital the day before. There didn't seem to be any reason to keep her there as they couldn't diagnose her issue. She was still lethargic/almost immobile, but no vomiting or dhiarea.
We drove across state to get a necropsy done ($535) and their initial determination for cause of death was choking due to the breakfast she ate. We knew that, of course and are trying to get them to investigate further to find out why a normal breakfast would make her choke to death. Was the throat constricted because of x,y,z, or I don't know. Of course, we are devastated.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Oh how terribly sad. And no vet was able to properly diagnose what was going on? You do need to know what was behind this tragedy - heads should roll. You have all my sympathy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh how terrible sad. And no vet was able to properly diagnose what was going on? You do need to know what was behind this tragedy - heads should roll. You have all my sympathy.
OMG, I am so so sorry. I have 3 bassets and i am setting in a hotel room at the moment waiting to find out what is wrong with mine. I personally think it is a ruptured disc, but i have begged 4 emergency vets to mri her. The frustration is very real. It is also unbelievable how the vet medical community seems to not care. My dog is insured and it has taken my 8 days to get her thoroughly checked

1 - 11 of 11 Posts