Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know by now Bogie has has two surgeries, one in June and one 15 days ago, because he swallowed a rock that lodged in his intestines. Hopefully his new muzzle will prevent this from happening again and give him some freedom in our yard when we can't be out there watching him.
Bogie is doing quiet well adapting to the muzzle now after a couple of rough few days. I sat in the yard and cried the first time he went out with it on. He rubbed it on the ground, stuck his head in the bushes to try to snag it and pull it off, he pawed at it, drug it on the fence, and finally laid down by the door and stared daggers at me.
Now Bogie has accepted it, and waits by the door for my husband or I to put it on him, and off he happily trots into the yard. He even comes back in now with dirt clinging, pine needles or leaves hanging from the muzzle where he has drug it along the ground as he sniffs. Yesterday we watched him sling his head and bat apples with it, and chase them as they bounced. I guess he has decided there is life with a muzzle.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I feel a little bit sorry for him, :(
but it's so much better this way,
after all!

He looks a bit like an icehockey keeper! :lol:

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Animals' have such an amazing ability to adapt to things like this- I like the image of him batting apples with it! This thing could very possibly save his life- and he is still a handsome boy with it on- very formidable!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poor Bogie...it looks like he has adapted well to the muzzle, it is a shame but you are doing the right thing to save him from anymore accidents. One plus is that he has his halloween costume already...maybe Hannibal???

·
Registered
465 Posts
Glad it's working for him. Better than more surgery, poor thing.

How about borrowing one of those colorful soccer goalie shirts from a kid and letting him wear that for Halloween? That would be so cute! (Poor Bogie! Adding insult to injury!) :(

·
Registered
714 Posts
I haven't been keeping up with the board, and missed his second surgery! :eek:
I'll go look up the thread.
I'm sure glad he's ok.

Well, Mr. Bogie, you gave mom & dad no choice. I'm glad you are adapting to your muzzle and I'm sure you will make the most of your new situation.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Good boy, Bogie! He looks a good deal like Edith Ann in the picture, I guess muzzles are a great equalizer :p . Edith managed to work her muzzle off a couple of times, so I've got it fitted very snugly, and I wrapped an elastic around the end of the strap to keep it in place. No more problems!

She did apparently try to eat some poop a couple of times at first, as there was sh** clogging the nose piece. I had a great time cleaning the muzzle off :eek: . Thank goodness Edith realized it was futile and stopped trying to snack!

·
Registered
118 Posts
As if a basset needs something MORE to look so comical and pathetic! :lol:

Maybe rumors will get around about the vicious basset hound that has to wear a muzzle in his yard! :p

·
Registered
608 Posts
Got to admit, tears at the heartstrings seeing a basset with a muzzle, :( but know you have no other option. Glad he is beginning to accept it now. :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
He looks rather pitiful,... but so much better than eating another rock! (((Bogie)))

·
Registered
284 Posts
I find he looks rather noble... it's in the way he holds his head. Nothing's going to keep this boy down! I agree with the others much better than finding rocks in him!

Lou

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think he looks cute. I'm glad he's accepting the situation and at least your mind can be at ease about the rocks. I never realized a dog would A.) actually swallow a rock and B.) need surgery for it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
And actually die because of it, after going through much pain and suffering. My friend's young Basset died that way - he swallowed the rock, obstructed his bowel, went to the vet, went on to the emergency vet, had surgery, and then never recovered due to an unsuspected genetic heart condition. It was heatbreaking. Better a muzzle than to lose someone you love in such a way.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
:lol: :lol: i know i should be more sympathetic to Bo's horrible predicament, but OMG that's a great pic.

he looks really quite fetching with it, and i'm sure he'll figure out naughty basset ways to use it (eg, hiding treats in it - !).

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bogie has become very inventive with the muzzle. He now "knocks" on the door with it when he's ready to come back in. He'll come up to the door and hit it with the muzzle. You can't keep a great Basset down. Thank goodness he hasn't figured out how to get it off, YET!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts